On the number of chess positions

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Re: On the number of chess positions

Post by petero2 »

JVMerlino wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:50 pm
petero2 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:15 pm To make this feasible I think the software would have to be improved to both get better at finding proof games and at proving positions to be illegal. This might be quite complicated I suspect.
Pardon my ignorance, but by "illegal" do you mean "illegal by the rules of chess" or "unreachable from the initial position"?
I mean "unreachable from the initial position". Technically I am not sure there is a difference though. I assume that by "rules of chess" we mean the FIDE laws of chess and consider only standard chess, not chess 960:

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf

In the document there is for example no explicit rule that forbids white from having pawns on a2, a3 and b2 at the same time. The fact that such a position can never appear is just a consequence of the rules saying what the starting position is and rules saying how pawns are allowed to move.

Similarly, there is for example no rule forbidding white from having an elephant on a3. It is just a consequence of the starting position and the absence of any rule that could cause an elephant piece to appear.

So, neither having white pawns on a2, a3 and b2 at the same time or having an elephant on a3 is explicitly "illegal by the rules of chess". The fact that such positions cannot appear in a game of chess is just an indirect consequence of the FIDE laws of chess.
dangi12012
Full name: Daniel Infuehr

Post by dangi12012 »

Very cool work!
Worlds-fastest-Bitboard-Chess-Movegenerator
Daniel Inführ - Software Developer
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

petero2 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:23 pm
JVMerlino wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:50 pm
petero2 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:15 pm To make this feasible I think the software would have to be improved to both get better at finding proof games and at proving positions to be illegal. This might be quite complicated I suspect.
Pardon my ignorance, but by "illegal" do you mean "illegal by the rules of chess" or "unreachable from the initial position"?
I mean "unreachable from the initial position". Technically I am not sure there is a difference though. I assume that by "rules of chess" we mean the FIDE laws of chess and consider only standard chess, not chess 960:

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf

In the document there is for example no explicit rule that forbids white from having pawns on a2, a3 and b2 at the same time. The fact that such a position can never appear is just a consequence of the rules saying what the starting position is and rules saying how pawns are allowed to move.

Similarly, there is for example no rule forbidding white from having an elephant on a3. It is just a consequence of the starting position and the absence of any rule that could cause an elephant piece to appear.

So, neither having white pawns on a2, a3 and b2 at the same time or having an elephant on a3 is explicitly "illegal by the rules of chess". The fact that such positions cannot appear in a game of chess is just an indirect consequence of the FIDE laws of chess.
Yeah, I should have been a bit clearer. By "illegal" I meant things that are much easier to determine, like "White to move and the Black King is in check", or "pawns on the 1st or 8th".

Thanks for the clarification.
tromp
Full name: John Tromp

Post by tromp »

tromp wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:37 pm Me and Peter Österlund (but mostly Peter and his program Texel) have completed analyzing all 1 million positions in the random 1 million sample and determined that with 56011 legal positions with average inverse multiplicity of ~0.98013, the most accurate estimate of the number of chess positions is (4.79 +- 0.04) * 10^44 (at 95% confidence level).
The original 1 million sample was generated with version 1.1 of the Haskell package System.Random
Using the newer 1.2 revision instead causes `make testRnd1mFENs` to generate a completely different 1m sample. We have analyzed this new sample, yielding a slightly different estimate of (4.853 +- 0.039) * 10^44.

Combining the two estimates yields the sqrt(2) more accurate combined estimate of
(4.822 +- 0.028) * 10^44.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Very nice research!
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Here is a document describing the algorithms used to determine if a position is legal or illegal:

https://github.com/peterosterlund2/texe ... oofgame.md