Neural MoveMap

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

niel5946
Full name: Niels Abildskov

Neural MoveMap

Post by niel5946 »

Hi.

During my development of Loki's neural network evaluation attempt, I stumbled over the Neural MoveMap Heuristic on CPW. The idea seems really interesting, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried it? If so, how did it go?
Author of Loki, a C++ work in progress.
Code | Releases | Progress Log |
lechmazur
Full name: Lech Mazur

Re: Neural MoveMap

Post by lechmazur »

You can tell it's a 20-year-old paper when a neural net with 40 hidden neurons is described as "very large." :)
niel5946

Post by niel5946 »

lechmazur wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:14 am You can tell it's a 20-year-old paper when a neural net with 40 hidden neurons is described as "very large." :)
Well yeah, but old doesn't necessarily mean bad... NMP is also an old method :)
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

This idea could be applied to a modern convolutional neural network as well. It is a way to encode the policy output.

Whether it would perform better or not than the AlphaZero policy encoding is difficult to predict. I guess it would not make a big difference, especially if the network is big.
derjack
Full name: Jacek Dermont

Post by derjack »

There is (was?) some discussion on stockfish discord about using separate neural network or additional head for move ordering, but it was more about likelihood of cutoff. Given that we already have relatively fast and somewhat reliable value network, it is interesting to see if relatively fast pseudo-policy network for move ordering would yield even better results.
niel5946

Post by niel5946 »

derjack wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm There is (was?) some discussion on stockfish discord about using separate neural network or additional head for move ordering, but it was more about likelihood of cutoff. Given that we already have relatively fast and somewhat reliable value network, it is interesting to see if relatively fast pseudo-policy network for move ordering would yield even better results.
That makes sense.
If I understand the cpw page correctly, the original MoveMap was used to give somewhat of a “meta-history” in the sense that it would be used before searching to get good history scores early on, which would help move ordering.
This is probably the same as a probability of cutoff since bigger scores would mean the move was likely to be better.