Introducing the "Cerebrum" library (NNUE-like trainer and inference code)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Carteau
Full name: David Carteau

Introducing the "Cerebrum" library (NNUE-like trainer and inference code)

Post by David Carteau »

A few days ago, I released a new version of my little engine Orion. After weeks of hard work, I managed to implement a working neural network trainer for NNUE-like architectures.

I decided to share my work by creating a library containing :
- a simple Python script for the trainer, based on Pytorch, and able to use (Nvidia) GPU if any to speed up the training ;
- a simple C program (with its header file) to convert and use the network file that have been generated.

The library is released under the MIT license : you can freely study it, copy/fork/clone it, or even embed it in your own projects.

My goal was not to design the most efficient code but to share simple code to help people not familiar with the NNUE concept to understand how it works. Despite being simple, the inference code supports incremental updates of the board state and uses some intrinsics to achieve the best possible performance.

Note that there are two major differences with the NNUE concept implemented in Stockfish :
- training produces float values, whereas Stockfish weights are integers : the inference is thus slower than in Stockfish ;
- the default network architecture uses 5 million weights (which is half of the 10 million weights used in Stockfish), but this can be easily changed.

Orion v0.8 uses the exact code that is published and it appears that first results are really good. It was a very exciting challenge and I'm happy to see that finally the training part works very well ;-)

What (ideally) remains to be done :
- find a better way to give insights on the training progress (I understood that cross-validation could help to estimate the quality of the current training) ;
- work on quantization, which could allow to produce small integers (int8) instead of float values, which could lead to better speed performance.

Do not hesitate to send me feedback or even contribute if you want : https://github.com/david-carteau/cerebrum

Regards, David.
Joerg Oster

Re: Introducing the "Cerebrum" library (NNUE-like trainer and inference code)

Post by Joerg Oster »

Thank you.
Very clean and readable code!
Jörg Oster
jdart

Post by jdart »

Thanks for making this available, especially under MIT License.
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Joerg Oster wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am Thank you.
Very clean and readable code!
I'm not liking the tabs for indentation very much though, would rather prefer 4 spaces.
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm I'm not liking the tabs for indentation very much though, would rather prefer 4 spaces.
Fixed !
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

David Carteau wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 am
Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm I'm not liking the tabs for indentation very much though, would rather prefer 4 spaces.
Fixed !
Noo :) Don't listen to this troll. I prefer tabs, because this way everybody can set any indentation level he wants - some indent to 2, 4 or 8 characters.
(Linux kernel uses tabs for a good reason)

And as a bonus, LZ-based compressors will compress source code with tabs better, because match distances will be smaller ;)
Martin Sedlak
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

mar wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am (...)
I prefer tabs, because this way everybody can set any indentation level he wants - some indent to 2, 4 or 8 characters.
(...)
I also use tabs for all the good reasons you mentioned, but I must admit that in fact the source code on GitHub wasn't so readable, that's why I made the change. Is there a way to configure GitHub to visually shorten tabs ?
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

mar wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am Noo :) Don't listen to this troll. I prefer tabs, because this way everybody can set any indentation level he wants - some indent to 2, 4 or 8 characters.

And as a bonus, LZ-based compressors will compress source code with tabs better, because match distances will be smaller ;)
It's not trolling to recommend 4 spaces for indentation. In fact, it's Pythonic to do so: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#indentation
Most IDEs will have some PyLint plugin to automatically check it for you.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

How accurate is this parody on the subject?:

JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

I think in general doing the exact opposite that troll tell you. Is a good start :lol: