Why not two consecutive null moves ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Why not two consecutive null moves ?

Post by mar »

Interesting. I recently switched from NMP+verification to hybrid NMP+NMR, this seems to have helped a bit in some positions while not losing elo (bullet only).
i.e. at low depths I prune (<=6) otherwise I reduce current node to 2/3 depth
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

This reduced search is just to check if there is a zugzwang? In that case it seems a wast of time when you have many mobile pieces. What do you do if the reduced search fails low? Do a full-depth search?
mar

Post by mar »

Yes I do (in parent node). To be more specific, I do this:
do nullmove, if it fails high, then I either prune at low depth or reduce current node (expecting to fail high).
Henk

Post by Henk »

mar wrote:Yes I do (in parent node). To be more specific, I do this:
do nullmove, if it fails high, then I either prune at low depth or reduce current node (expecting to fail high).
So what happens in the case you reduce current node and it fails low ?
mar

Post by mar »

It almost never fails low.
If a zw node fails low then it produces a cutoff in parent node.
mar

Post by mar »

Sorry, of course I don't because it then produces a cutoff.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:How many real plies does a null move reduction need to make it work correctly ? For instance do I need to test depth >= R + 2 if Null move reduction reduces with R. (My null move reduction does not reduce with R + 1)

Code: Select all

if &#40;depth >= R + 2 && depth < pos.MaxDepth&#41;
 &#123;
        if &#40;NullMoveCutOff&#40;entry, depth, ub, out nullMoveValue&#41;)
        &#123;
             bestMove = null;
             return nullMoveValue;
        &#125;

&#125;
The main danger is allowing a null-move to take you to a VERY selective search where you miss tactical threats, particularly mates. If your q-search includes at least one ply of non-capturing checks, then you can feel pretty safe reducing with r=3 everywhere, since you still get checks even if you collapse directly into q-search. If you do not do q-search checks, I would leave one ply of full-width search on the end to be sure that you are not playing oblivious to a serious tactical threat.
Henk

Post by Henk »

bob wrote:
Henk wrote:How many real plies does a null move reduction need to make it work correctly ? For instance do I need to test depth >= R + 2 if Null move reduction reduces with R. (My null move reduction does not reduce with R + 1)

&#123;
        &#123;
             bestMove = null;
             return nullMoveValue;
        &#125;

&#125;
The main danger is allowing a null-move to take you to a VERY selective search where you miss tactical threats, particularly mates. If your q-search includes at least one ply of non-capturing checks, then you can feel pretty safe reducing with r=3 everywhere, since you still get checks even if you collapse directly into q-search. If you do not do q-search checks, I would leave one ply of full-width search on the end to be sure that you are not playing oblivious to a serious tactical threat.
My q-search does not recognize mate. It only searches zero or more captures. So if it gives the opponent a full-width search returning a move that attacks a king it would not be detected in q-search. It would only prevent it from doing captures (except capture of the king) at level 0. That means that two full-width searches looks safer. But maybe that might be too expensive.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:
bob wrote:

&#123;
        &#123;
             bestMove = null;
             return nullMoveValue;
        &#125;

&#125;
My q-search does not recognize mate. It only searches zero or more captures. So if it gives the opponent a full-width search returning a move that attacks a king it would not be detected in q-search. It would only prevent it from doing captures (except capture of the king) at level 0. That means that two full-width searches looks safer. But maybe that might be too expensive.
Just so you have at least one ply to recognize mates. Which means you have to extend when you give a check rather than extending when you escape check, or you will need 2 plies at the end.