Lynx chess engine

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

eduherminio
Full name: Eduardo Caceres

Lynx chess engine

Post by eduherminio »

Hey everyone,

I've been working intermittently on my very first chess engine for the last few months :oops:
Here it is: Lynx.

It's written in C# (currently .NET 6 preview), under MIT License.
I have to say it's 'inspired' by 'Bitboard Chess Engine in C' YouTube series, so I have to thank Code Monkey King for those videos.

I was waiting to develop a stronger version of it before presenting to this forum, but since it's probably going to become a never-ending process, I've decided it to share it with you all right now while I continue developing and improving it.
:!: Disclaimer: it's still weak, doesn't support opening books or all UCI options yet and a long etc. for now.

Binaries can be downloaded from GitHub (feel free to test it as much as you want!).
Since I don't have that much time to play games locally and fully evaluate future performance improvements of code changes, I also created a Lichess BOT which runs Lynx's latest version, is available 24/7, challenges other bots, and that anyone (with a lichess.org account) can play.

At some point in the near future it'd make me incredibly happy to see Lynx in CCRL or similar lists (even if it's at the rock bottom :P), so I'd be grateful if someone could provide me with some guidance about how CCRL and other chess engine lists work, whether I need to do anything special to 'register' my engine there for the first time so that people are aware of it and can start using it in their tests/matches, etc.

Cheers :D
Author of Lynx chess engine (GitHub, Lichess)
algerbrex
Full name: Christian Dean

Re: Lynx chess engine

Post by algerbrex »

Hi Eduardo, congrats. I'm not an engine tester, but I always love seeing new engines. I look forward to running some tests of the engine against previous versions of Blunder! :D
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Congrats for your engine :), I see it has already played a few games against Zahak (my engine)...

I suggest you announce your engine in this forum: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewforum.php?f=2

So the testers will have a better chance not to miss it :)
eduherminio

Post by eduherminio »

Thanks Christian and Amanj!
In fact I wanted to post under 'Computer Chess Club: General Topics' but messed something up :cry: will re-post there since I don't see a way of moving this.

PD: Lynx doesn't stand a chance against Zahak right now, 117-0!
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

eduherminio wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:51 am Thanks Christian and Amanj!
In fact I wanted to post under 'Computer Chess Club: General Topics' but messed something up :cry: will re-post there since I don't see a way of moving this.

PD: Lynx doesn't stand a chance against Zahak right now, 117-0!
Well, the matchup is not fair though, Zahak has been around for far longer :)

What is your estimate for Lynx?
eduherminio

Post by eduherminio »

I have no other estimations/expectations than making it strong enough to easily beat me (and I'm getting there).
Honestly I'm just trying to focus on learning basic chess programming concepts and producing readable code.
Let's see how far it goes!