Your favorite chess server

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which chess server do you prefer ?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:22 am

Lichess.org
79%
Chess.com
16%
Other (please specify)
5%

Total votes: 38

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Your favorite chess server

Post by lucasart »

For those of you that like to play chess online.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Dariusz
Full name: Dariusz Domagała

Re: Your favorite chess server

Post by Dariusz »

PlayChess from ChessBase.
Regards, Darius
https://chessengeria.eu
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Help, not for me!
A chess club or chess books are much more interesting.
But different chess friends told me that LiChess ...
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

I’m with Frank on this one, I’m too old and my brain doesn’t compute fast enough for online chess ….

Al.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

LiChess, and for books and study Forward Chess works for me these days..
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by lucasart »

Scally wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:21 am I’m with Frank on this one, I’m too old and my brain doesn’t compute fast enough for online chess ….

Al.
I don't like fast chess either. I play mostly 15+10 rapid, with some 5+3 for less serious games. Never without increment.

After getting bored with chess programming, I finally discovered the fun of actually playing chess. First on chess.com, until I discovered Lichess.org, and never went back to chess.com.

The fact that almost all chess YouTube channels, and titled players, use exclusively chess.com, and are forbids to speak the name Lichess, speaks volumes by itself. If it was not 10x better than chess.com, why would chess.com have to resort to bribery and blackmail to silence the competition 🤔?
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

AdminX wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:11 pm LiChess, and for books and study Forward Chess works for me these days..
Followed. Let's play some time. :)

- CoachBrendan 8-)
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

lucasart wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:15 am
Scally wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:21 am I’m with Frank on this one, I’m too old and my brain doesn’t compute fast enough for online chess ….

Al.
I don't like fast chess either. I play mostly 15+10 rapid, with some 5+3 for less serious games. Never without increment.

After getting bored with chess programming, I finally discovered the fun of actually playing chess. First on chess.com, until I discovered Lichess.org, and never went back to chess.com.

The fact that almost all chess YouTube channels, and titled players, use exclusively chess.com, and are forbids to speak the name Lichess, speaks volumes by itself. If it was not 10x better than chess.com, why would chess.com have to resort to bribery and blackmail to silence the competition 🤔?
What's with these ratings though? Must be American. On Lichess I can play 2400+ on PLaychess I get killed against those ratings.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:28 am
AdminX wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:11 pm LiChess, and for books and study Forward Chess works for me these days..
Followed. Let's play some time. :)

- CoachBrendan 8-)
Done! :D Now we just need to setup time and tech (Webcams, Etc)
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by lucasart »

Werewolf wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:01 am
lucasart wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:15 am

Al.

What's with these ratings though? Must be American. On Lichess I can play 2400+ on PLaychess I get killed against those ratings.
Ratings only make sense in relative terms, never absolute. Lichess.org uses 1500 by default for new joiners, whereas Chess.com uses 1200. In practice, I would guess that FIDE rapid ELO should be around Lichess - 400.

Now 2400, even on Lichess, is pretty strong 💪

I'm hovering around 1950 rapid