Chess for Android: 6.5.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android: 6.5.2

Post by abik »

I just released version 6.5.2 of Chess for Android to Google Play.

Some new features include:
  • Autosave game on FICS/ICS
  • DGT Pegasus support
  • Certabo Bluetooth Connection (untested!)
  • Internationalization Improvements
  • Position Setup bug fixes (thanks to Daniel for reporting)
The DGT Pegasus is the latest addition to the supported electronic chessboards, since I just received my board. The bluetooth to Certabo is new, but completely untested, since I don't have such a board. I basically just put the USB protocol on top of a Bluetooth socket. Please let me know if that works. There are also a few very minor changes. For example, touching the USB/Bluetooth icon while connected with an eboard provides information on the board.

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Chess for Android: 6.5.2

Post by Chessqueen »

abik wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:52 am I just released version 6.5.2 of Chess for Android to Google Play.

• DGT Pegasus support
The DGT Pegasus is the latest addition to the supported electronic chessboards, since I just received my board. The bluetooth to Certabo is new, but completely untested, since I don't have such a board. I basically just put the USB protocol on top of a Bluetooth socket. Please let me know if that works. There are also a few very minor changes. For example, touching the USB/Bluetooth icon while connected with an eboard provides information on the board.

Is there a newer version of Bik Jump with this newer version of Chess engine for Android?
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
abik

Post by abik »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:11 am Is there a newer version of Bik Jump with this newer version of Chess engine for Android?
I believe that sometimes at the end of 2008, I announced that I was about to release the next version of the BikJump engine, but was taking a small detour with the Chess for Android GUI first. Now, many years later, I am still about to release that one... Believe it or not, I indeed sometimes work on improving the BikJump sources. So, clearly, not soon, but hopefully one day. Of course, the chess engine landscape has changed a lot now that ML-based engines have taken over from the simple alpha-beta pruners ;-)
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Many thanks aart.
You do a very good job.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
abik

Post by abik »

abik wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:52 am
Pietro from Certabo kindly provided me an image for my Raspberry PI 3 to emulate the bluetooth connection with a Certabo electronic chessboard for debugging and testing. Version 6.5.3 of Chess for Android with a -now- fully tested implementation of Certabo bluetooth is rolling out on Google Play.
abik

Post by abik »

I have posted a brief instructional video on connection Chess for Android with the DGT Pegasus electronic board on YouTube.
abik

Post by abik »

I got a few questions on the new permission model for API30 and up, so here is a bit of information (taken from my online manual).

Under Game Storage, you will find a new Manage SD option. Since the new file management is API30 compliant, the user must explicitly indicate which directories Chess for Android can access. This permission only needs to be given once for each relevant directory, i.e. directories for loading and saving games, but also directories that contain other chess related contents, such as endgame tablebases or opening books for use with imported engines.

When importing an UCI engine, the engine set up dialog shows all opened paths as a drop down menu for every feature that needs a "path". Note that this actually saves typing the full path, as was needed in older versions.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

abik wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:52 am I just released version 6.5.2 of Chess for Android to Google Play.
Great app. How do you change engine options. If I import komodo9 or stockfish14, can I change their options and play against their levels.

Also any way to import one of the lco/maia engines to play against.

Thank you.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

• DGT Pegasus support

How do I limit the strength of chess for android engine to a specific Elo like 1700 or 1750 once I manage to beat the 1700 10 out of 15 times and so on and on...... as I progresses. Or can you make another engine rated around 1700 available?
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
abik

Post by abik »

JohnS wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:47 pm Great app. How do you change engine options. If I import komodo9 or stockfish14, can I change their options and play against their levels.
Also any way to import one of the lco/maia engines to play against.u.
Thanks! When importing the UCI engine for the first time, you get a pop-up dialog that allows you to change all parameters, even the ones set by a supporting application that ships the engine. Next time around, those same settings are re-used. To change, first clear the options of that engine (some find this cumbersome, so I am working on better ways for that!).