Are NNUE Nets Specific to Chess Engines or They Universal to All Engines?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

daniel71

Are NNUE Nets Specific to Chess Engines or They Universal to All Engines?

Post by daniel71 »

Are NNUE Nets Specific to Chess Engines or They Universal to All Engines? Can the NNUE's Nets be Swapped to other chess engines so the pattern recognition is available to all engines or does Stockfish heuristics or Dragon's chess engine work better with its own specific programming algorithms?
Sopel
Full name: Tomasz Sobczyk

Re: Are NNUE Nets Specific to Chess Engines or They Universal to All Engines?

Post by Sopel »

The NNUE networks are neither standardized nor self-contained. If a given network made for engine A works with an engine B, A!=B, then it's by accident, unless otherwise specified by the engine B's author.
dangi12012 wrote:No one wants to touch anything you have posted. That proves you now have negative reputations since everyone knows already you are a forum troll.

Maybe you copied your stockfish commits from someone else too?
I will look into that.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Sopel wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:59 pm The NNUE networks are neither standardized nor self-contained. If a given network made for engine A works with an engine B, A!=B, then it's by accident, unless otherwise specified by the engine B's author.
That being said, many engines use the “original” architecture and format employed up through SF13. These nets can then be loaded and used in many different but not all engines.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Who is saying I'm a forum Troll? I Rarely post but I was wondering if the NNUE part is interchangeable with other engines. Why am I being insulted for asking a question dangi12012?
op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Post by op12no2 »

daniel71 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:20 pm Who is saying I'm a forum Troll? I Rarely post but I was wondering if the NNUE part is interchangeable with other engines. Why am I being insulted for asking a question dangi12012?
Assuming this is not humour, you are mistaking @sopel's signature as a message to yourself.
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

@dkappe

Dietrich, I thought you are the one who could know this. Is there an old format net trained on Lc0 games/evaluation? I know that SF devs trained nets based on Lc0, but I found only new nets.
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

op12no2 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:42 pm
daniel71 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:20 pm Who is saying I'm a forum Troll? I Rarely post but I was wondering if the NNUE part is interchangeable with other engines. Why am I being insulted for asking a question dangi12012?
Assuming this is not humour, you are mistaking @sopel's signature as a message to yourself.
I did take this as a backdoor insult to me, thank you for telling me as that comment ruined my day.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

matejst wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:17 pm @dkappe

Dietrich, I thought you are the one who could know this. Is there an old format net trained on Lc0 games/evaluation? I know that SF devs trained nets based on Lc0, but I found only new nets.
You are best off asking in the SF discord. Night Nurse and Dark Horse are both trained on mcts/nn data but from Bad Gyal instead of lc0.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".