Chess-PC noise heat...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Wilhelm
Full name: Wilhelm HUDETZ

Chess-PC noise heat...

Post by Wilhelm »

Some weeks ago I updated my PC with a new MB (Asus X570 e-Gaming), Ryzen 5900x and 64Gb Gskill 3600ram. All was running fine and I also get my old Win 7 working. I optimized the CPU with Hydra, a must have I think. Now for testing I don't want run Prime that's tasteless to look at ...
So i started a engine tournament. After around two hours the PC reaches 35°C water temperature and could hold it for the next two days. The Noctua fans runs on ~1100-1200rpm and I was not so satisfied with that noise and heat output. After some hours I was nerved by that. On gaming they never reached this rpm. Now I deceided to improve the cooling by adding a water chiller. After some test I found a perfect working configuration.
I want to share my practical experience with you so you can see what you have to expect with that.
At first the positive side: The PC keeps absolute silence and cool, even after three days full load :-)
At second the downside: Placeing the Chiller in the same room is a absolute no go! Much to loud and producing a lot of heat.
I placed it in the next room from my son. The room is not used anymore because my son is out of house with his owen family.
The room was heated up from 24°C to 27°C after some hours. Outside temperatur was 26°C. Best place for the chiller would be a cellar.
Hope this helps anyone wo is thinking about a chiller.

here a shematic sheet of my cooling. The water tank is needed or you would get a high switching frequency of the chiller.

Ryzen 5900x, 64GB Ram, RTX3080, 2x 2TB SSD, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, all custom watercooled, Win10 and Win7 Multiboot, Win98/Windows Millennium/WinXP virtual machines for 16bit
Retro Chess Chessmasterhttps://descent.at/files/
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Chess-PC noise heat...

Post by smatovic »

Nice setup. I thought about a chiller for cooling multiple GPUs, but was not willing to put it another room or somewhere outside, so I used several Zalman Reserator AIO + additional radiator+fans, one stack for each GPU/CPU, for me fan noise-level @~1000 RPM is acceptable.

https://www.newegg.com/zalman-liquid-co ... 6835118111

--
Srdja