On the ownership of TakChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: On the ownership of TakChess

Post by mclane »

hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pm That would sound reasonable if Ed wasn't firmly in Quentin's camp...
In „Quentin’s camp“
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pm That would sound reasonable if Ed wasn't firmly in Quentin's camp...
I’ve no idea what camps there are and are not.

The important thing is that there are identifiable Custodians of the forum/brand name and so on, and that ICD/Quentin have driven a coach and horses through the terms they were allowed to do the hosting right from the start actually, and now it’s even worse.

Custodians can confer legitimacy onto a continuation forum.

Clearly Quentin/ICD can ask for money if you guys want to use the domain talkchess.com but he can’t claim ownership of the forum. He simply does not have that. Nor does he own the posts, he certainly doesn’t own my posts. Forum software is easily reproduced.

All that’s needed is the domain name. Or make a new one realtalkchess.com
Some named individuals to act as Custodians for if ever this happens again, and you techy guys can build a replacement forum, which you pretty much did already. You make the chief techy guy subject to elected moderated control with a backstop control by Custodians. That’s a tri-partite solution, generally accepted as the best way to stop individual “dictators” as TC likes to say.

I’m not interested in controlling anything, btw, just in case the thought crossed your mind.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, the replacement forum is already there, and it in a short time it can be made superior to this one, as we have full access to the software there. But I don't think that it will attract any visitors, no matter how many fancy features it has, and how crappy the forum is here, if it would be in a domain other than talkchess.com.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 pm Indeed, the replacement forum is already there, and it in a short time it can be made superior to this one, as we have full access to the software there. But I don't think that it will attract any visitors, no matter how many fancy features it has, and how crappy the forum is here, if it would be in a domain other than talkchess.com.
Semi-impasse then? You don’t trust Ed? Ed doesn’t trust you? Quentin would like to hang on to “his” forum and have his flagrant commercial exhortation on every page of it?
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pmThat would sound reasonable if Ed wasn't firmly in Quentin's camp...
You're alluding to Ed's attempt of bribing Quentin as owner to prevent democratic elections regarding the CTF shutdown. However, since that attempt failed, I don't expect Ed to be in Quentin's camp. Quentin wasn't a useful tool for Ed back then and even less so now.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

chrisw wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 pmand have his flagrant commercial exhortation on every page of it?
Given that the hosting and domain has always been for free, that little advertising isn't outrageous. It's small, static, no flickering, and even on-topic for a chess forum - and that's what I say as someone whose first browser extension is always uBlock Origin. That's not the issue. The issue is the numerous technical server problems that Quentin is unwilling to have fixed, and that in turn is why his "ownership" came under scrutiny.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
hgm

Post by hgm »

Ras wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 pm
hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pmThat would sound reasonable if Ed wasn't firmly in Quentin's camp...
You're alluding to Ed's attempt of bribing Quentin as owner to prevent democratic elections regarding the CTF shutdown. However, since that attempt failed, I don't expect Ed to be in Quentin's camp. Quentin wasn't a useful tool for Ed back then and even less so now.
No, I was referring to an e-mail Ed sent me when we were discussing how to fix the forum. Ed said my plan to test on another server, directing all traffic there, could not be attempted without Quentin's permission, because he owns TalkChess, and would sue us.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Talk of contracts and the law and confronting chessusa may feel good, but it’s not practical. We’re (who is “we?”) not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars taking them to court to force them to give up the forum.

We’re better off figuring out what we want out of this, what chessusa wants out of this and coming to an amicable agreement.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
hgm

Post by hgm »

chrisw wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 pm
hgm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 pm Indeed, the replacement forum is already there, and it in a short time it can be made superior to this one, as we have full access to the software there. But I don't think that it will attract any visitors, no matter how many fancy features it has, and how crappy the forum is here, if it would be in a domain other than talkchess.com.
Semi-impasse then? You don’t trust Ed? Ed doesn’t trust you? Quentin would like to hang on to “his” forum and have his flagrant commercial exhortation on every page of it?
No, I am just puzzled by your claim that Ed and you are the only persons still around who know what happened, but that the two of you say the opposit thing.
towforce

Post by towforce »

dkappe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 pm Talk of contracts and the law and confronting chessusa may feel good, but it’s not practical. We’re (who is “we?”) not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars taking them to court to force them to give up the forum.

OTOH, if Ed and Chris set up a new forum, including the old posts from 1997, the onus would then be on Chess USA to sue them. That's not a suggestion, but it shows that Ed and Chris do have a strong position to negotiate from.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!