chess 960 showdown in St. Louis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: chess 960 showdown in St. Louis

Post by Modern Times »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 am I doubt that any of the 960 positions is actually won for White, but I'll bet that the 100 most unbalanced ones would produce a pretty decent share of wins even with the two best engines playing at long time controls on big hardware. So maybe for engine play (or correspondence), we'll have "Chess100" (or some other number in that ballpark). Is there a list somewhere of all 960 positions evaluated by a strong engine (I seem to recall seeing one once)?
Yes, that is exactly what I've been thinking of for a new chess960 engine tournament, or even a new ratings list.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 am
lkaufman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 am I doubt that any of the 960 positions is actually won for White, but I'll bet that the 100 most unbalanced ones would produce a pretty decent share of wins even with the two best engines playing at long time controls on big hardware. So maybe for engine play (or correspondence), we'll have "Chess100" (or some other number in that ballpark). Is there a list somewhere of all 960 positions evaluated by a strong engine (I seem to recall seeing one once)?
Yes, that is exactly what I've been thinking of for a new chess960 engine tournament, or even a new ratings list.
So the questions to be decided would be: 1. How many of the most unbalanced FRC positions should be included? 2. What engine or engines make the determination of which are the most unbalanced positions, and how much time/how many threads do they get for this purpose?
Komodo rules!
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

CMCanavessi wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:18 am
There's something here: https://www.chess.com/article/view/what ... 0-position
Is there a way to automate that process, or would it have had to be dome manually ?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:47 pm
So the questions to be decided would be: 1. How many of the most unbalanced FRC positions should be included? 2. What engine or engines make the determination of which are the most unbalanced positions, and how much time/how many threads do they get for this purpose?
All good questions, and it depends on if the process could be automated. In terms of engines, I'd use Stockfish and Komodo I guess. It would take about a week to analyse all 960 positions for 5 mins, two runs with different engines, and you'd use as many cores as the machine has. But I have no available hardware myself at the moment so the idea is on the back-burner. All I could do is set up and test some sort of automated method if it exists, on my laptop ready for when I have access to my desktops again.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 pm
lkaufman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:47 pm
All good questions, and it depends on if the process could be automated. In terms of engines, I'd use Stockfish and Komodo I guess. It would take about a week to analyse all 960 positions for 5 mins, two runs wit h different engines, and you'd use as many cores as the machine has. But I have no available hardware myself at the moment so the idea is on the back-burner. All I could do is set up and test some sort of automated method if it exists, on my laptop ready for when I have access to my desktops again.
If you do create an automated way to do this, I can run it overnight every night on my 5 Ghz 10 core laptop until complete; maybe 3 min would be ample on that hardware. If it's for a rating list, I suppose you have in mind a relatively long TC, since there's no need to minimize draws in bullet chess.
Komodo rules!