Why was Eman7.40 download removed?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Why was Eman7.40 download removed?

Post by Chessqueen »

Why was Eman7.40 removed since in this world after the invention of the Wheel anybody who can take an idea of a car and make it better can produce and sell their automobile in the market. So who care if 90% of the ideas were taken from Stockfish, just like 90% of the idea of any car is taken from another vehicle produced earlier.
(The link was removed due to an allegation by the Stockfish team of violating the GPL.)
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
supersharp77

Re: Why was Eman7.40 download removed?

Post by supersharp77 »

My Friend Your A Bit Late For That Battle.....But The War Still Rages...."Bread And Circuses"..... :) :wink:

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77919

Sopel wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:44 pm https://cumnor-chess-server.com/phpbb/v ... ?f=9&t=479
That is when Eman started attracting the attention of some of my friends who asked me for a copy of Eman. Those friends never cared if Eman code is included with the binary or not.
But I DO. I hold some copyright and I DO care whether you preserve my authorship or not, I DO care whether you comply with the license or not. This is something that any one of more than a hundred Stockfish developers could say. The license is to protect the copyright holder, not the end user. And it's not even hard to follow, just show a bit of decency.

It's despicable that people knowingly violate the license by removing all signs of authorship. The Eman case has been even more blatant than Fat Fritz 2 or Houdini, but since it was distributed for free and has a small reach many gave it a pass. Now Eman's author forced to comply with the license chooses to cease distribution (the alternative being to release the source). Though I must say I'm happy that it was resolved in some way, I would have preferred the other solution, for the overall benefit of the chess community (however I doubt if the license will be respected in the distribution to "friends").

From how it went it's easy to see that it's one of the "I'm not doing shit until you force me. And if you force me it's you who's the bad actor, now I HAVE TO stop distributing my hobby project" situations. Many people seem unaware of any wrongdoing, and I think that's part of the issue - people allow this to happen because they either don't care, or do care but still prefer to take advantage of it. Some even defend it - https://cumnor-chess-server.com/phpbb/v ... ?f=9&t=480.

Everyone who uses such engines is just as guilty as the people who distribute them. Either follow the license as required or don't use the software, it's as simple as that, and no amount of "hobby" or "good will" will offset that. If you don't respect the people who allowed you to produce your software no one should respect you.

I write this because it saddens me when people compare our pursuit for our rights to some kind of a holocaust of Stockfish clones.