Chess tournaments with Arena

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessbykermy
Full name: Jordi Jansa

Chess tournaments with Arena

Post by Chessbykermy »

Dear chess friends,

I’d like to run more than one chess tournament at the same time with GUI Arena, but I don’t know if that it’s possible.

For instance, tournament A, B and C with the same engines competing each other. This is perfectly possible with Hiarcs Chess Explorer but I don’t know with Arena.

Thanks!
Ferdy

Re: Chess tournaments with Arena

Post by Ferdy »

It is possible.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Maybe not optimal but I use two different Arena installations to run two different tournaments at the same time. I am not bold enough to invoke the same Arena instance twice.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Chessbykermy
Full name: Jordi Jansa

Post by Chessbykermy »

Thanks Gabor, I haven’t considered this idea … I’ll try it.

Thanks Ferdy, it’s possible to run several tournaments with the same installation? I would appreciate your advice.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Chessbykermy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:58 pm Thanks Ferdy, it’s possible to run several tournaments with the same installation? I would appreciate your advice.
Use different name for each tournament. Do not run more than 1 instance of the tournament name.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Chessbykermy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:40 pm Dear chess friends,

I’d like to run more than one chess tournament at the same time with GUI Arena, but I don’t know if that it’s possible.

For instance, tournament A, B and C with the same engines competing each other. This is perfectly possible with Hiarcs Chess Explorer but I don’t know with Arena.

Thanks!
ChessGUI is better for doing this.
I use three or four separate ChessGUI folders.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, WinBoard is also better at this; no tricks with different folders needed there. You just start a new tourney, it doesn't interfere with any other tourney that is currently running or suspended. And apparently HIARCS chess explorer is better at this too. But the OP asks for Arena...