Unfortunate development on Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Unfortunate development on Android

Post by Eduard »

Since 2021 it has no longer been possible to integrate free engines into Android apps (except for an older date). All engines must be offered as apps in the PlayStore. As a result, I only found Stockfish 14 in the PlayStore (OEX). I have not found any newer engines (and new networks). You can forget about the current GUIs. Almost nothing can be done on Android. Droidfish still works with all engines, but only because the December 2020 GUI has not been updated. Under Chess for Android from the PlayStore nothing works anymore (you have to install an older version). I spent a lot of money on the Android apps (and bought almost everything there is). Google took money, but I don't have any more of it.
Eduard

Re: Unfortunate development on Android

Post by Eduard »

This applies to Android 10 or newer. Example: I bought the Acid Ape Grandmaster App (one of many apps). It's the most expensive app I've bought. But not even Stockfish 14 is running below this.

This is a joke !!

Acid Ape has its own engine collection in the PlayStore, but a new Stockfish (better than 13) is not included. What shoud that? In the app there is a link to Komodo 8,9,10 in the PlayStore. But I've already bought Komodo 13 Android. But Komodo 13 cannot be installed under Acid Ape, the engine is not recognized by the GUI. I could report something similar from other Android Chess GUIs under Android 10. Game over!
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

All engines run.
Maybe you do something wrong.

Use free guis like droidfish or chess by aart bik.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

Nothing is wrong. Newer GUIs for Android 10 or newer OS, are only allowed to use apps from the PlayStore. Third party executive programs (like chess engines) have been banned.
Archimedes
Full name: Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

DroidFish should be downloaded outside from the Google Play Store from http://hem.bredband.net/petero2b/droidfish/index.html (Latest development APK). The recommended version for Chess for Android is 6.2.1. With it you will have no problems with Google Play restrictions. Well known, that this doesn't work for all recently updated chess GUIs on Android 10 and newer (as they are only offered on Google Play Store).

Authors should offer alternative download links for his apps (e. g. F-Droid), created with a lower API level, or all available chess engines for Android should be offered in addition as an apk. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Archimedes on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

Ah, I understand now. Some GUIs cannot be freely offered because the authors want to earn money with them. To do this, however, they must be offered in the PlayStore. And live with the restrictions.

I've backed up my two most important apps (Chess for Android older version and Droidfish). These are still running on Android 10. The question is how much longer?

But I also bought a lot of other GUIs, nothing works anymore.

The future for Chess on Android does not look good. 90% of the apps I buy are no longer worth anything to me.

What exactly is F-Droid?
Archimedes
Full name: Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Eduard wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am Yes. I've backed up my two most important apps (Chess for Android older version and Droidfish). These are still running on Android 10. The question is how much longer?
I use them on Android 11 and they are still working. I do not see any indications, why they are not working anymore in future versions of Android (as long file mangers are allowed and allowed to copy files to chess engine directories), but i'm not a mentalist. :D
Eduard wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am What exactly is F-Droid?
https://f-droid.org/
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Everything works.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

Eduard wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 am Since 2021 it has no longer been possible to integrate free engines into Android apps (except for an older date). All engines must be offered as apps in the PlayStore. As a result, I only found Stockfish 14 in the PlayStore (OEX). I have not found any newer engines (and new networks). You can forget about the current GUIs. Almost nothing can be done on Android. Droidfish still works with all engines, but only because the December 2020 GUI has not been updated. Under Chess for Android from the PlayStore nothing works anymore (you have to install an older version). I spent a lot of money on the Android apps (and bought almost everything there is). Google took money, but I don't have any more of it.
you're right. Google play wont let apks just run any file anymore as an engine. It has to be preinstalled with the app. But one thing to consider is Amazon App Store, which for android now is just kindle fire tablets, will let apps be submitted on the older. API level 28 still. I don't know where it will go or when they will raise the API standard but this fall Amazon will be on windows too and with these older api levels that let apps do more. But i have to get me a windows 11 laptop and see for myself when it's out.
towforce

Post by towforce »

adams161 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:14 pmGoogle play wont let apks just run any file anymore as an engine. It has to be preinstalled with the app.

Thank you for that clear explanation. This is thinking out loud, and even if it's possible it's probably not going to be easy, but I wonder if there's some way of downloading a software library at runtime under Android? I've done something similar under .Net: I use a library (PDFium, which converts PDF files into images) that has two versions of itself - 32 bit and 64 bit. When the library is needed, the program:

1. works out whether it's running as a 32 or 64 bit program

2. loads the appropriate library while it's running!

There's no reason (apart from the fact that it would kill the program's performance!) why the required library couldn't be fetched from a cloud location before running. I don't know whether something similar could be done under Android.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!