Unfortunate development on Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Re: Unfortunate development on Android

Post by supersharp77 »

Archimedes wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:11 am DroidFish should be downloaded outside from the Google Play Store from http://hem.bredband.net/petero2b/droidfish/index.html (Latest development APK). The recommended version for Chess for Android is 6.2.1. With it you will have no problems with Google Play restrictions. Well known, that this doesn't work for all recently updated chess GUIs on Android 10 and newer (as they are only offered on Google Play Store).

Authors should offer alternative download links for his apps (e. g. F-Droid), created with a lower API level, or all available chess engines for Android should be offered in addition as an apk. :mrgreen:
Acid Ape chess works I've heard... if you pay the Price... (Not Cheap)...I have a working beta copy but it only has 3 engines..Cheng & 2 others..No engine matches or Tourneys...Chess for android (latest versions) won't load engines from my sd card anymore..but one of the older version still allows access...The One I find excellent is a program called "Chess Engines Tournament" Its only for engine vs engine tournaments but allows access to the sd card (most old engines work) and allows bin.books for the GUI tourney games...(very useful) Right now a Prefer it over Chess for android...Komodo apks link to the Gui...Chiron 3.0 apk does not work in my android 10 system...There are also 2 other programs similar to Chess Tournament by the same author...one is chess pgn....and the other is chess analysis....One is only for reviewing games...Other one is only for engine matches but not engine tournaments... :) :wink:
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Of course I had the full version of Acid Ape (GM version). Only old Stockfish versions and old Komodos are running. I bought Komodo 13 app but Acid Ape doesn't recognize this engine. What shoud that?

If you use Chess for Android, you have to use an older app version, and you have to manually authorize the access rights to the SD card in the Android settings. Then all engines can be installed.

The current app from Droidfish is no longer in the PlayStore, but on the author's homepage!

I've now largely parted ways with chess on Android. Except for Droidfish, I uninstalled everything.

But with Droidfish I can work well and analyze with all engines. Droidfish enables the loading of CTG and BIN books (with display of opening moves!). I make such books myself. That's why Droidfish is a great help when I'm on the go!
towforce

Post by towforce »

Another idea (again thinking out loud - don't really know how easy or viable this would be): cross-compile the chess engines to some sort of byte code, and include a byte code interpreter in the chess program. Then, per my previous idea, fetch the byte code for the program you want to play against with a web service request.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!