Stockfish Attacks The Stockfish Clones...Who's Next?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Stockfish Attacks The Stockfish Clones...Who's Next?

Post by MikeB »

purechess wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:51 pm Stockfish authors reminds people to not violate the GPL v3 license .That's all
Check your PMs ;>)
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

amanjpro wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 pm
You're wrong.
From the link Eduard gave click "More about CoreChess..." at the bottom of the site, which leads to

http://chess.ultimaiq.net/corchess.html

First sentence there is
CorChess is a clone of Stockfish [source code] maintained for better performance on long time controls,
trying at least partially to fill the gap between regular tests and demands of correspondence players.
[source code] leads to

https://github.com/IIvec/Stockfish/tree/corchess
[/quote]
Sopel wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:44 pm
The distribution of the executable on the previously linked site does not follow the license. Also the changes made to the program violate the license. "I have taken steps to enforce compliance."
"And Comply They Will Or Else"...Herr Sopel Works "That Stockfish Magic on The Clones"... :) :wink:
[/quote]
amanjpro wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 pm
Dude I educated you for free... Why still persisting on your ignorance...(You Mean Brilliance) :) :wink:
You need to focus on Your Hacked Engine "Zahak"........The Engine That Comes From Absolutely Nowhere

"Zahak (or Zahhak or Azhi Dahak) is an evil figure in Iranian/Kurdish/Perisan mythology, evident in ancient Iranian folklore as Azhi Dahāka, the name by which he also appears in the texts of the Avesta. Legend has it, that he had two giant snakes on his shoulders and he had to feed them two human brains on daily basis"

This engine Barely works most of the Time.....Perhaps you should focus on fixing it and giving Proper credit for your "Sources"........"Nothing Comes From Nowhere"...... :lol: :wink:
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Zahak is clearly not a Stockfish clone. Your ignorance is painful.

In any case, the individual responsible for creating the CorChess Stockfish fork opted to comply with the GPL/Sopel's requests which amounted to clarifying the authors.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 am Zahak is clearly not a Stockfish clone. Your ignorance is painful.

In any case, the individual responsible for creating the CorChess Stockfish fork opted to comply with the GPL/Sopel's requests which amounted to clarifying the authors.
He opted to comply with Sopel’s request, not the GPLv3. See the GPL FAQ regarding copyright in source files and distribution with the text of the GPL. If I wanted to modify Stockfish into BozoChess and report the author in the UCI protocol as “Bozo the Clown,” I would be complying with the terms of the GPLv3 as long as I didn’t remove the names of the authors from the copyright notice in the source files and notified anyone receiving BozoChess of their rights under the GPLv3.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Thanks Connor...

And for supersharp, I don't think there is much point to argue with you, I said what I feel you can benefit from, if you decide not to understand then too bad, I cannot do much more
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

dkappe wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 am
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 am Zahak is clearly not a Stockfish clone. Your ignorance is painful.

He opted to comply with Sopel’s request, not the GPLv3. See the GPL FAQ regarding copyright in source files and distribution with the text of the GPL. If I wanted to modify Stockfish into BozoChess and report the author in the UCI protocol as “Bozo the Clown,” I would be complying with the terms of the GPLv3 as long as I didn’t remove the names of the authors from the copyright notice in the source files and notified anyone receiving BozoChess of their rights under the GPLv3.
Yes. That's what I meant, though perhaps my "/" was confusing. Precisely, I meant the creator opted to both comply with the GPL and cooperate by adjusting the authors. For GPL compliance, I think maybe the Corchess site was also tweaked such that a link to the Stockfish License was supplied as well, though it might have already been compliant.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Yes Friends New Victims Of The Stockfish Inquisition Have Arisen....
AlexChess wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 pm I like Fischerov very much since 0.92 release. Often it performs better than Stockfish. But it seems that now authors cannot share Fisherov 98d anymore, due to the Stockfish Team request. :( I hope that they will show that is only inspired by SF.

https://chessengines.blogspot.com/2021/ ... rsion.html

I kindly ask to the authors to release the source code as required by GPLv3, and I ask to do the the same to Raubfisch, AI-15, KillFish, Eman, Zeus, Spider, As-130.2 authors. Please, we need that you share your knowledge to improve Stockfish competitors and SF itself.

I'll continue to privately test all them, never sharing the binaries, only for statistical purposes.
mclane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm Why do you play with clones of stockfish?!

Why do you test these engines ?!
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:22 pm
mclane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 pm A product?!
A clone is no „product“
A clone is stolen copyright material.
It's only stolen if you don't respect the license. Nothing wrong with clones, some are actually useful. Like crystal or brainlearn for example.

I'm also happy to see that Fisherov is now compliant with GPLv3 too, good that other people are taking a stance.

With all This Debate and Controversy It Hit Me...."Stockfish is Not Happy Because These Clones Must Test Well Against Stockfish, Sometimes Outperforming Stockfish in The Engine Tests...Now This is Not A New Development, but one I've seen over many years..Stockfish Always Tested a bit worse than Some Of These Clones...ex SugaR..Brainlearn ..Brainfish...Asmfish...Cfish...Eman..McBrain..McCain....Raubfisch..FatFritz 2...CiChess CorChess Etc..Some of it was Due to settings....Some to Updates...Only Stockfish Development (Abrok.eu) was able to keep pace for the most part. Stockfish wants their code because they want to know why some of these "Clones" test so well against the Original. :wink: :)
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:27 am Yes Friends New Victims Of The Stockfish Inquisition Have Arisen....
AlexChess wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 pm I like Fischerov very much since 0.92 release. Often it performs better than Stockfish. But it seems that now authors cannot share Fisherov 98d anymore, due to the Stockfish Team request. :( I hope that they will show that is only inspired by SF.

https://chessengines.blogspot.com/2021/ ... rsion.html

I kindly ask to the authors to release the source code as required by GPLv3, and I ask to do the the same to Raubfisch, AI-15, KillFish, Eman, Zeus, Spider, As-130.2 authors. Please, we need that you share your knowledge to improve Stockfish competitors and SF itself.

I'll continue to privately test all them, never sharing the binaries, only for statistical purposes.
mclane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm Why do you play with clones of stockfish?!

Why do you test these engines ?!
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:22 pm
mclane wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 pm A product?!
A clone is no „product“
A clone is stolen copyright material.
It's only stolen if you don't respect the license. Nothing wrong with clones, some are actually useful. Like crystal or brainlearn for example.

I'm also happy to see that Fisherov is now compliant with GPLv3 too, good that other people are taking a stance.

With all This Debate and Controversy It Hit Me...."Stockfish is Not Happy Because These Clones Must Test Well Against Stockfish, Sometimes Outperforming Stockfish in The Engine Tests...Now This is Not A New Development, but one I've seen over many years..Stockfish Always Tested a bit worse than Some Of These Clones...ex SugaR..Brainlearn ..Brainfish...Asmfish...Cfish...Eman..McBrain..McCain....Raubfisch..FatFritz 2...CiChess CorChess Etc..Some of it was Due to settings....Some to Updates...Only Stockfish Development (Abrok.eu) was able to keep pace for the most part. Stockfish wants their code because they want to know why some of these "Clones" test so well against the Original. :wink: :)
I think that Stockfish testing method could be improved (the stage 1 is too fast!) and it should include GM games at tournament time controls (computer ELO is over-estimated) and games against ALL top engines.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN