Stockfish Attacks The Stockfish Clones...Who's Next?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: Stockfish Attacks The Stockfish Clones...Who's Next?

Post by RubiChess »

I will leave completely. This community is just too sick.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

RubiChess wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:49 am I will leave completely. This community is just too sick.
Another option is to put the troll users on ignore. Cuts the posts down by a good 50%.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

RubiChess wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:39 am
supersharp77 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:49 pm Ok.. as I suspected......First They Attacked Fat Fritz 2......(Chessbase)......Now The Have Served Eman Chess
https://cumnor-chess-server.com/phpbb/v ... ?f=9&t=480 Who Is Stockfish's Next Victim Of the Monopoly Power? :) :wink:
TrollList += supersharp77
TrollSignature[supersharp77] = :) :wink:
In my list since ever...(any random post by him pours clone love and stupidity)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

I am certainly not a troll, I do not post often and I have no wish to provoke anybody. But I still should reiterate things I said before:

One, I see that supersharp77 does not know fully the origins of StockFish. It is a fully legit project, started by Marco Costalba and encouraged by Tord Romstad. There is nothing "fishy" (pun not intended) in its origins.

I also think that in the case of CB, SF is in his good rights ethically, although it remains to be seen how the case will end legally. I will not expand on this topic, it's complicated, and I believe that both participants have done something useful for computerchess and I hope they can find an agreement useful and satisfactory for all, e.g. a special version of SF could be developed for CB for a fee.

Nonetheless, I find that the latest campaign against "clones", and especially the reaction here at CCC is a bit hypocritical. Khalid Omar has immediately stopped distributing his engine. Everybody was aware that it was a SF derivatives, made more useful for end-users, instead of been streamlined for eng-eng competitions. Omar did not hide it, and, in general, if SF developers were not hypnotised by TCEC competitions and Elo hunting, it is something they would have done themselves, eliminating the need for the like of Shashchess, Sugar, Eman, Crystal, etc. and all this problems would probably not occur.

On the other hand, he refused to divulge his own code and, especially, ideas. I feel that SF is a stagnant project since Marco's departure, all about optimisations, without real new ideas. I think it has become a compilation of ideas found in other open source engines -- like Ethereal, Seer, Berserk, etc. Without this umbilical cord feeding SF, everything could become more difficult. I would think that it was all right -- one borrows, one has to give back, and that's the spirit of the GPL -- had the SF project been developed in the clear -- but it was almost certainly not the case after the Ippo scandal.

Without this perspective, it is difficult to understand this sudden hound on a derivative distributed for free to a handful of users, especially when his author stopped to distribute it.
Sopel
Full name: Tomasz Sobczyk

Post by Sopel »

matejst wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm On the other hand, he refused to divulge his own code and, especially, ideas. I feel that SF is a stagnant project since Marco's departure, all about optimisations, without real new ideas. I think it has become a compilation of ideas found in other open source engines -- like Ethereal, Seer, Berserk, etc.
Please think twice next time before you write something so false and offensive
dangi12012 wrote:No one wants to touch anything you have posted. That proves you now have negative reputations since everyone knows already you are a forum troll.

Maybe you copied your stockfish commits from someone else too?
I will look into that.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:19 pm
matejst wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm On the other hand, he refused to divulge his own code and, especially, ideas. I feel that SF is a stagnant project since Marco's departure, all about optimisations, without real new ideas. I think it has become a compilation of ideas found in other open source engines -- like Ethereal, Seer, Berserk, etc.
Please think twice next time before you write something so false and offensive
Stockfish is desperately in need of Marco to come back and ... idk reinvent the entire evaluation paradigm? I guess it can't happen without him :shrug: Oh well maybe someone else will do it and then it will feed back into Stockfish.

His post almost reads like it was written by me, in a blatant trolling effort. Except its real?
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

matejst wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm ...
On the other hand, he refused to divulge his own code and, especially, ideas. I feel that SF is a stagnant project since Marco's departure, all about optimisations, without real new ideas. I think it has become a compilation of ideas found in other open source engines -- like Ethereal, Seer, Berserk, etc. Without this umbilical cord feeding SF, everything could become more difficult. I would think that it was all right -- one borrows, one has to give back, and that's the spirit of the GPL -- had the SF project been developed in the clear -- but it was almost certainly not the case after the Ippo scandal.
This is false.

It is true that there are a number of Stockfish ideas found in Seer (most notably the counter move history heuristic) as well as in Ethereal and other open source engines. Of the handful of somewhat original search ideas found in Seer, none can be found in Stockfish. The converse is simply false.
purechess
Full name: Heinrich Pulliter

Post by purechess »

Stockfish authors reminds people to not violate the GPL v3 license .That's all
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

The Great "Genius Of Stockfish GPL Purity Herr Sopel Now has a New Delicious Stockfish Target...Behold CORCHESS !! 8-) :lol:
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 pm
peter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm
Eduard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm By the way, I also checked CorChess EXE. There is only I. Ivec as the author. However, new Stockfish patches are constantly being released. Is Ivec the sole author?

CorChess: http://chess.ultimaiq.net/stockfish.html
Indeed, CorChess seems to be violating the license too.
You're wrong.
From the link Eduard gave click "More about CoreChess..." at the bottom of the site, which leads to

http://chess.ultimaiq.net/corchess.html

First sentence there is
CorChess is a clone of Stockfish [source code] maintained for better performance on long time controls,
trying at least partially to fill the gap between regular tests and demands of correspondence players.
[source code] leads to

https://github.com/IIvec/Stockfish/tree/corchess
The distribution of the executable on the previously linked site does not follow the license. Also the changes made to the program violate the license. "I have taken steps to enforce compliance."
"And Comply They Will Or Else"...Herr Sopel Works "That Stockfish Magic on The Clones"... :) :wink:
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:10 pm The Great "Genius Of Stockfish GPL Purity Herr Sopel Now has a New Delicious Stockfish Target...Behold CORCHESS !! 8-) :lol:
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 pm
peter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm
Eduard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm By the way, I also checked CorChess EXE. There is only I. Ivec as the author. However, new Stockfish patches are constantly being released. Is Ivec the sole author?

CorChess: http://chess.ultimaiq.net/stockfish.html
Indeed, CorChess seems to be violating the license too.
You're wrong.
From the link Eduard gave click "More about CoreChess..." at the bottom of the site, which leads to

http://chess.ultimaiq.net/corchess.html

First sentence there is
CorChess is a clone of Stockfish [source code] maintained for better performance on long time controls,
trying at least partially to fill the gap between regular tests and demands of correspondence players.
[source code] leads to

https://github.com/IIvec/Stockfish/tree/corchess
The distribution of the executable on the previously linked site does not follow the license. Also the changes made to the program violate the license. "I have taken steps to enforce compliance."
"And Comply They Will Or Else"...Herr Sopel Works "That Stockfish Magic on The Clones"... :) :wink:
Dude I educated you for free... Why still persisting on your ignorance...