Eman chooses to cease distribution to comply with GPLv3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Eman chooses to cease distribution to comply with GPLv3

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Ed,

I think that we can prohibit links to where illegal engines can be obtained, but we can't stop discussion of them (although the Engine Origins forum should be where such discussion occurs).
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

My interpretation of "questionable legal status" in the context of the charter is "postings that might lead to legal action against TalkChess".
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:58 am Hi Ed,

I think that we can prohibit links to where illegal engines can be obtained, but we can't stop discussion of them (although the Engine Origins forum should be where such discussion occurs).
hgm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pm My interpretation of "questionable legal status" in the context of the charter is "postings that might lead to legal action against TalkChess".
Alright, both good points.

I was referring to Srdja. People are leaving because of these type of postings.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

hgm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pm My interpretation of "questionable legal status" in the context of the charter is "postings that might lead to legal action against TalkChess".
Yes, exactly. Still, should he become moderator, allow me to openly declare support for chewing gum and gays, which are illegal in Singapore and Uganda respectively. He can instaban me by referring to this.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Rebel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:47 pmI was referring to Srdja. People are leaving because of these type of postings.
Indeed, this is a problem. But I don't think the postings themselves are the cause. These are just symptoms of the toxic environment that the chess-programming community has become. People seem to have grown completely intolerant w.r.t. every opinion different from their own.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

hgm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Rebel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:47 pmI was referring to Srdja. People are leaving because of these type of postings.
Indeed, this is a problem. But I don't think the postings themselves are the cause. These are just symptoms of the toxic environment that the chess-programming community has become. People seem to have grown completely intolerant w.r.t. every opinion different from their own.
Indeed , welcome to the USA ;>)
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm
I wished if it was welcome to the USA, I would say welcome to the 21st century... I have lived my past ten years in almost all the continents, and this is present everywhere :(
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

I'm done with Talkchess.

What used to be a constructive place to discuss about the latest chess engines and techniques to be used in computer chess has devolved into a toxic dumpster for people arguing over cloning, GPL violations, uniqueness, free speech on the CTF, ip banning, moderators behaviour, etc. I'm as guilty of participating in this as the rest of you are, but nothing ever gets anywhere with these endless arguments apart from making people hate each other. So I'm done.

Good bye.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Maybe because forum people are not real people anymore.
But most of us know each other from real life.
And those i never met, i know them for many many years.
But sometimes new people appear and misunderstandings are programmed.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

amanjpro wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:38 pm
MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm
I wished if it was welcome to the USA, I would say welcome to the 21st century... I have lived my past ten years in almost all the continents, and this is present everywhere :(
Its the internet . 21st Century is the internet age.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....