Eman chooses to cease distribution to comply with GPLv3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Re: Eman chooses to cease distribution to comply with GPLv3

Post by supersharp77 »

Glaurung v1.1 Read me Txt.......

"Glaurung is a simple and minimalistic UCI chess engine. Compared to
other chess programs, it is neither very fast nor particularly
intelligent, but on fast modern computers it is nevertheless strong
enough to give most human players a good challenge. The source code
is delivered under the GNU Public License; see the file Copying.txt
for details. The program should compile easily in Windows and most
Unix variants (including Mac OS X).

I started working on Glaurung in the autumn of 2004, when my old chess
engine (Gothmog) got so complex and buggy that there was no point in
trying to improve it further. My goal with the new engine was to
construct a very simple program with compact code and data
requirements, and to make the code general enough to handle hexagonal
chess with just a small number of changes. Scatha, Glaurung's
hexagonal twin brother, is available as a separate download.

Thanks to the big, friendly and helpful amateur computer chess
community, chess programming is no longer a very difficult endeavour
(unless you want to become a world champion). The list of friendly
programmers who have helped me learn the craft of chess programming is
long. I have learned a lot from Ryan Benitez, Dieter Buerssner,
Anthony Cozzie, Vincent Diepeveen, Dusan Dobes, Sune Fischer, Bob Hyatt,
Sergei Markoff, Richard Pijl, Ed Schroder, Chris Whittington, and many
other programmers at the Computer Chess Club and the Winboard Forum. A
special thanks to the following three people:

* Peter Fendrich, who first introduced me to chess programming.

* Grzegorz Szidorowicz, for encouraging me to write a hexagonal chess
program, and for his advice during the development process.

* Fabien Letouzey, for generously sharing thoughts, ideas and code,
for creating Fruit and PolyGlot, and most of all for being the best
of my many friends in the computer chess community.

No less important than the programmers are the many enthusiasts who
run matches and tournaments between amateur chess engines. Without
their help, chess programming would not be nearly as fun to do. A big
thanks to Robert Allgeuer, Graham Banks, Christian Bartsch, Roger Brown,
Patrick Buchmann, Dann Corbit, Olivier Deville, Leo Dijksman, Wolfgang
Draeger, Peter Eizenhammer, Igor Gorelikov, Lars Hallerström, Heinz
van Kempen, Uschi, Christian Koch, Gabriel Leperlier, Günther Simon,
Kurt Utzinger, Ciro Vignotto, and all the other testers
out there.

Thanks to Jim Ablett, Dann Corbit, Bryan Hofmann (Crafty) and Fritz Reul(Chessmaster) for
compiling optimised Windows binaries of my program."

"Only Original In The Warped Minds Of Talkchess Trolls....." :) :wink:
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Re: Re:Stockfish Shuts down The Competition?

Post by amanjpro »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:38 am
Sopel wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:10 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:16 pm
RubiChess wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:11 pm You have an account in this forum, maybe you should post a copy of this in the "Hell of a run my man" thread.
Oof, that is a special place, to make Stockfish authors the bad guys, for asking that you follow the license.
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77819

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77762

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77807

Make The Stockfish "Authors" The Bad Guys? Umm...Methinks Stockfish which is a Clone Of Glaurung....Chasing down and Harassing Authors of Stockfish Clones..Clearly make them "THE BAD GUYS'......Meanwhile Notice in this forum its always the Other Guys who are the Villains in the Ridiculous Charade....And very few .almost no one is Interested in The MONOPOLY POWER of STOCKFISH....They use "Open Source" to cover themselves....That is all... :) :wink:
It's hard to read through your insanity but you seem not to understand the purpose of having a license.
Your The genius Right? What your definition of Open Source? " The Blind Man See's Only What He Wants To See"
Thats The Problem with these Self Appointed Authorities.... :) :wink:
Ok, I'll put it in simple words for you... Hopefully you will understand...

- open source, doesn't mean original chess engine. It means the source code is publicly available and both the source code and and the executable ate licensed under an open source license.
- An open source license is basically a contract, if you use the software, or use it's source code, you have to obey the terms in the contract (i.e. license)
- GPL is an instance of many open source licenses
- GPL requires anyone who takes the source code and modify it, in anyway, no matter how small to make all the changes publicly available, so that the changes can be applied in the original code if desired.
- Anybody who violates the above point is outlaw and should be corrected.
- The person who distributed Eman, violated the last point, the SF community asked him to publish his changed to community, and of course rightfully, given that they own the license.
- Khalid was coward and decided to discontinue his work instead of publishing his changes, in a cheap attempt to show himself as a victim.

Now if you still think SF is at fault, that is the problem in your side, and I advice you to educate yourself by reading this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... rR_xkQpgVQ
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

1. While many of the stockfish supporters here and elsewhere have a wobbly understanding of the GPL, I think they’re on solid ground with regard to Eman.
2. The origins of Stockfish seem pretty clear. You’d have to willfully misunderstand its history to allege some sort of copyright violation by the SF project.
3. If there is a weakness in the SF project, it’s one that it shares with many other open source projects: over the years likely many developers have worked on the project with employment contracts that assign code ownership to their employers. Untangling that, even with a source control history going back years, can be an ordeal. Not yet tested in court: can you license under the GPL software to which you don’t unambiguously own the copyright?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
marsell

Post by marsell »

Just publish the source code with the engine and that's it.
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

I've always understood that Eman is a private engine. In order to get it, I wrote to the author directly when there was no public download. For me it was OK and I didn't pass the engine on. For me everything was private. Since there has been a public download, the author must also pass on the source code if this is requested, as by Sopel. Now the engine is private again, and that's okay for me too.
Sopel
Full name: Tomasz Sobczyk

Post by Sopel »

Eduard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:12 pm I've always understood that Eman is a private engine. In order to get it, I wrote to the author directly when there was no public download. For me it was OK and I didn't pass the engine on. For me everything was private. Since there has been a public download, the author must also pass on the source code if this is requested, as by Sopel. Now the engine is private again, and that's okay for me too.
I think there's a misunderstanding about what and when needs to be done to comply with the license.

1. The license must be attached for ANY DISTRIBUTION. There's no distinction between private or public, however you're gonna define that. The license must accompany the executable.
2. You CANNOT remove attribution to previous authors no matter what you do with the code.
dangi12012 wrote:No one wants to touch anything you have posted. That proves you now have negative reputations since everyone knows already you are a forum troll.

Maybe you copied your stockfish commits from someone else too?
I will look into that.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

I was never interested in the source code. I don't need it. But I looked. In fact, as the author, only the name of the Eman author is there. And nothing from Stockfish. Yes, that is not correct.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

By the way, I also checked CorChess EXE. There is only I. Ivec as the author. However, new Stockfish patches are constantly being released. Is Ivec the sole author?

CorChess: http://chess.ultimaiq.net/stockfish.html
Sopel
Full name: Tomasz Sobczyk

Post by Sopel »

Eduard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm By the way, I also checked CorChess EXE. There is only I. Ivec as the author. However, new Stockfish patches are constantly being released. Is Ivec the sole author?

Indeed, CorChess seems to be violating the license too.
dangi12012 wrote:No one wants to touch anything you have posted. That proves you now have negative reputations since everyone knows already you are a forum troll.

Maybe you copied your stockfish commits from someone else too?
I will look into that.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Sopel wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm
Eduard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm By the way, I also checked CorChess EXE. There is only I. Ivec as the author. However, new Stockfish patches are constantly being released. Is Ivec the sole author?

Indeed, CorChess seems to be violating the license too.
You're wrong.
From the link Eduard gave, click "More about CoreChess..." at the bottom of the site, which leads to

http://chess.ultimaiq.net/corchess.html

First sentence there is
CorChess is a clone of Stockfish [source code] maintained for better performance on long time controls,
trying at least partially to fill the gap between regular tests and demands of correspondence players.
[source code] leads to

https://github.com/IIvec/Stockfish/tree/corchess
Peter.