Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by AlexChess »

@DKappe @AndrewGrant really RELAX, this is a chess engines fans and authors forum, not Afghanistan. I love you all for what you are doing to feed my hobby.

If I say something wrong is because I'm Italian, not native English speaking and it's difficult for me to follow and react to all your legal confabulations :lol:

Best regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:56 am
New paradox: If Albert Silver illegally distributes a Dkappe network, will Dkappe:
A) Defend Albert by posting "hot-takes" about copyright law that contradict his others postings
B) Call it an open violation, when in all previous cases he refuses to be anything but a milk-toast fence sitter
Andy,

I guess I’ll have to repeat myself yet again. Happy to do it in the hopes that you will eventually learn.

1. Violating a license is generally not illegal. It is a matter of contract law, not criminal law.
2. If someone violates a license, they should suffer the consequences.
3. The distribution of the corrected FF2 adheres to both the letter and spirit of the GPLv3. There is nothing to defend.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:09 pm
AlexChess wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:33 pm Also Dkappe's Night Nurse CF, Dark Horse CF and Toga III CF are GPLv3 compliants, since NNUE cannot be copywriteable.
What is CF? I certainly don’t distribute anything under that name. Dark Horse is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives 4.0 license. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/

If you received it embedded in an engine, I’d like to know who violated the license.
New paradox: If Albert Silver illegally distributes a Dkappe network, will Dkappe:
A) Defend Albert by posting "hot-takes" about copyright law that contradict his others postings
B) Call it an open violation, when in all previous cases he refuses to be anything but a milk-toast fence sitter
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:44 am
Andy,

I guess I’ll have to repeat myself yet again. Happy to do it in the hopes that you will eventually learn.

1. Violating a license is generally not illegal. It is a matter of contract law, not criminal law.
2. If someone violates a license, they should suffer the consequences.
3. The distribution of the corrected FF2 adheres to both the letter and spirit of the GPLv3. There is nothing to defend.
Interesting and easy to understand :)
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 am
AlexChess wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:33 pm Also Dkappe's Night Nurse CF, Dark Horse CF and Toga III CF are GPLv3 compliants, since NNUE cannot be copywriteable.
What is CF? I certainly don’t distribute anything under that name. Dark Horse is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives 4.0 license. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/

If you received it embedded in an engine, I’d like to know who violated the license.
Very good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 am

Very good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 amVery good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
Copyright infringement is certainly illegal.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:55 am
dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 amVery good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
A lawyer of my acquaintance expressed it this way: if you can go to jail for it, it’s illegal.
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:04 am
syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:55 am
A lawyer of my acquaintance expressed it this way: if you can go to jail for it, it’s illegal.
If you can go to jail for it, it is criminal and illegal. If it breaches tort, contract, or property law, it is still certainly illegal. Arguing semantics isn't doing any favors for ChessBase at this point.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

gaard wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 am If you can go to jail for it, it is criminal and illegal. If it breaches tort, contract, or property law, it is still certainly illegal. Arguing semantics isn't doing any favors for ChessBase at this point.
Mercifully, the supposed lawsuit isn’t being tried in this kangaroo court but in an actual court. What we say here (other than utterances made by SF project members) doesn’t matter one way or another.