Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by reflectionofpower »

I agree with the Stockfish in its rights being violated BUT money talks and if you do NOT have more money than they do you lose. Plain and simple. They can drag it on for years.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Rebel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:08 am ...
3. I am curious about the juridical claims of SF-team,
are they satisfied with the removal of FF from the shop or do they want a part of the turnover as well.
Me too. If this about false advertising it is going to be interesting. If this is about neural networks too.

--
Srdja
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Unlike most of these uninformed speculations about the GPL, this debate may actually have a definitive conclusion. I still expect some sort of settlement, however.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Wonder how a settlement could possibly be reached unless every last one of the SF authors agreed to it, or someone gonna proceed with the lawsuit with their fair share of copyrighted code. :D
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

RESOLUTION:

1. Turn over to team SF half the after tax proceeds from the sale of each unit which was in violation.
2. Clearly state origin, etc with each future sold unit.
3. 'Sin no more'.

and life goes on.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I feel like no one here actually read the Stockfish posting. They say what they want: Stockfish team has terminated the GPLv3 on ChessBase. ChessBase continues to distrubite. Therefore Stockfish goes to court to enforce that GPLv3 termination. The rememdy sought is for ChessBase to comply with that termination. I don't think $ plays a role.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:54 pm I feel like no one here actually read the Stockfish posting. They say what they want: Stockfish team has terminated the GPLv3 on ChessBase. ChessBase continues to distrubite. Therefore Stockfish goes to court to enforce that GPLv3 termination. The rememdy sought is for ChessBase to comply with that termination. I don't think $ plays a role.
If you want a court to enforce GPLv3 termination you have to convince the court of GPLv3 violations. The blog article does not specify what these exactly are.

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

noobpwnftw wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:40 pm Wonder how a settlement could possibly be reached unless every last one of the SF authors agreed to it, or someone gonna proceed with the lawsuit with their fair share of copyrighted code. :D
That would be an interesting kind of Copyright-Troll-Attack, GNU projects transferred (up to recently) their copyright to the FSF, maybe for a reason.

--
Srdja
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

We have an expression in Bosnian which says '' Wolf eaten the donkey'' which means that nothing will come out of such lawsuit.... :) :) But of course SF team are welcome to try....
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

One unfortunate fact about the German legal system is that legal filings, expert testimony, etc., are not public records. Perhaps the SF project and their lawyers could make some effort to make the proceedings more public?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".