Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gaard
Full name: Martin W

Re: Stockfish: Our lawsuit against ChessBase

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 am
gaard wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 am If you can go to jail for it, it is criminal and illegal. If it breaches tort, contract, or property law, it is still certainly illegal. Arguing semantics isn't doing any favors for ChessBase at this point.
Mercifully, the supposed lawsuit isn’t being tried in this kangaroo court but in an actual court. What we say here (other than utterances made by SF project members) doesn’t matter one way or another.
None of your emotive response contradicts anything in the quote you're replying to. Need you try again?
towforce

Post by towforce »

Apologies for adding to the spam in this thread, which would be better left for actual information about the SF v CB case, but to clear up this point: copyright violation is normally a civil offence, but it can be a criminal offence - link.

I remember a case of the USA issuing an extradition request against a young English man for copyright infringement. My first reaction was absolute disgust: extradition for watching a few films without paying? I thought he should have been prosecuted in the UK for that, not extradited. But it turned out that he was doing it at scale for large numbers of people.

I am STRONGLY of the opinion that the period of time that both copyright and patents cover are waaaaaaay too long in the modern world and should be dramatically shortened. But the key point in the context of this thread is that there are circumstances under which copyright infringement can be a criminal offence.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

dkappe wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:04 am
syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:55 am
dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 amVery good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
Copyright infringement is certainly illegal.
A lawyer of my acquaintance expressed it this way: if you can go to jail for it, it’s illegal.
What is your point? Are you somehow trying to deny that copyright infringement is illegal? (Certainly what you say does not deny it, but perhaps you think it does? Again... what is your point?)
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 pm
dkappe wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 amVery good. Breaking a contract is not against the law or “illegal,” although it is governed by contract law. Clear enough? You may want to go with the OED or a more substantial dictionary.
A lawyer of my acquaintance expressed it this way: if you can go to jail for it, it’s illegal.
What is your point? Are you somehow trying to deny that copyright infringement is illegal? (Certainly what you say does not deny it, but perhaps you think it does? Again... what is your point?)
My point is that using the term “illegal” in this way is both factually and grammatically incorrect.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

dkappe wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:02 pm
syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 pm
My point is that using the term “illegal” in this way is both factually and grammatically incorrect.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/illegal
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/illegal
https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/illegal
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

You remind me of a girl I went to school with. She was very sweet, but unlettered and not too bright. Her prized possession was a worn students Webster’s dictionary. She was silent during most classroom discussions, but would send folded up notes afterwards with definitions she thought were relevant.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
gaard

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:01 am
You remind me of a girl I went to school with. She was very sweet, but unlettered and not too bright. Her prized possession was a worn students Webster’s dictionary. She was silent during most classroom discussions, but would send folded up notes afterwards with definitions she thought were relevant.
When all else fails, just resort to name calling and insults, right? Try not to take it personal. It makes it that much easier to admit when you are wrong.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

gaard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:11 am
When all else fails, just resort to name calling and insults, right? Try not to take it personal.
I didn’t mention her name. (It was Julie, by the way.) But I wouldn’t call Andy by her name.
gaard

Post by gaard »

dkappe wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:20 am
gaard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:11 am
When all else fails, just resort to name calling and insults, right? Try not to take it personal.
I didn’t mention her name. (It was Julie, by the way.) But I wouldn’t call Andy by her name.
You're obviously implying AG is both unlettered and "not too bright", because for some reason insulting someone was easier than admitting you were wrong. Why do you insist on making ChessBase look worse and worse? That seems to be all you intend to achieve, besides your gratuitous condescension.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

gaard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:22 am You're obviously implying AG is both unlettered and "not too bright", because for some reason that was easier than admitting you were wrong. Why do you insist on making ChessBase look worse and worse?
I said that he reminded me of a girl that would send dictionary definitions instead of mounting an argument. I suspect an adult introduced her to a dictionary so she could remedy her intellectual defects. I can’t begin to speculate why Andy does the same thing.

As for ChessBase, why would anything I say make them look better or worse, and why should I care?