Komodo Dragon vs GM Wirig knight odds match

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Komodo Dragon vs GM Wirig knight odds match

Post by Chessqueen »

AdminX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 pm
mehmet123 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 pm
Vinvin wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm
AdminX wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 pm ...
Score Day 1:

GM Anthony Wiring 1 Komodo Dragon 3
reaction after the first day :
Anthony is deceived by his poor performance. He wonder where he can improve his play. May be in the opening : sacrificing one pawn to get a more active play ?

In general the humans made a better performance for the 2nd day.
He have to score 3-1 tomorrow to draw the match.

The score is 2-2 after 4 games.
Draws count as wins for Komodo in this match.
Here is another Knight Odds game between Leela vs GM Daniel Naroditsky rated over 2600 Leela playing Black, this is a great endgame study
Last edited by Chessqueen on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Score Day 1:

Anthony is deceived by his poor performance. He wonder where he can improve his play. May be in the opening : sacrificing one pawn to get a more active play ?

He did gambit a pawn on move 1 in the game he won. From’s gambit.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 am
Score Day 1:

He did gambit a pawn on move 1 in the game he won. From’s gambit.
Just like I mentioned yesterday Nothing to worry about, I still believe that Komodo MCTS will at least get 4 draws and 2 wins, simply eliminate those bad openings and select the best opening for Komodo MCTS.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 pm
mehmet123 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm Why Dragon takes so little time to do its moves. At 4th game after 80 moves GM Anthony Wirig has 1 minute left but Dragon has 14 minutes left.
I have never ever observed a GM making such flash moves within seconds against a top Engine, was Komodo dragon 2 using 6 men Endgame Tablebase :?:
Of course, why would you think otherwise?
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 am
mehmet123 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm Why Dragon takes so little time to do its moves. At 4th game after 80 moves GM Anthony Wirig has 1 minute left but Dragon has 14 minutes left.
I have never ever observed a GM making such flash moves within seconds against a top Engine, was Komodo dragon 2 using 6 men Endgame Tablebase :?:
Mr. Kaufman, back in 1987 When you were the editor and main writer of Computer Chess Report 34 years ago when you were 38 years old, If somebody told you that you were going to be the main person behind a future chess program that was going to give Knight Odds to a GM rated around 2500 in rapid, what you would have said back then, when M-Chess by Marty Hirsch was the leading chess Program rated just around 2160 or close to 2200. You probably would have said I do NOT believe that will be possible. https://ratings.fide.com/profile/615013
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 pm
Mr. Kaufman, back in 1987 When you were the editor and main writer of Computer Chess Report 34 years ago when you were 38 years old, If somebody told you that you were going to be the main person behind a future chess program that was going to give Knight Odds to a GM rated around 2500 in rapid, what you would have said back then, when M-Chess by Marty Hirsch was the leading chess Program rated just around 2160 or close to 2200. You probably would have said I do NOT believe that will be possible. https://ratings.fide.com/profile/615013
We knew by then that sooner or later computers would defeat the human world champion in a standard match (I think I called the correct year almost exactly), but the idea that a computer could ever beat a grandmaster in a fairly serious match at knight odds was something no strong chess player even imagined possible. Even in 2008, when FM John Meyer, whose strength was perhaps 2120 FIDE or so, beat Rybka easily by 4 to 0 in a Rapid match, it seemed obvious that it was just impossible for any computer to give knight odds at such a time limit to an active Grandmaster. I'll bet that even now most grandmasters who aren't following our matches would say it is impossible. Well, we may not win this match, at least not by standard scoring, but if we don't win this one, it is clear that before too long we will reach this goal.
It has been my good fortune to be present at or involved with most of the milestones in engine vs human chess. First tournament victory over a human by MacHack in 1967 (I was present as part of the team). First plus score against Grandmasters in a human blitz tournament by Rexchess in 1989 (I was operator and co-author). First Rapid victory in a game against a former World Champion (a Mephisto model vs Boris Spassky in 1989, I was the operator). First official master rating for a commercial engine (Fidelity Mach II, I was involved in the rating test). First match victory in standard chess over a World Champion (Deep Blue vs Kasparov 1997, I was the first human master match opponent for a predecessor version of Deep Blue, called "ChipTest" (I won the match). First non-blitz match victory for an engine giving material odds to a grandmaster in 2007 (Rybka vs Elvest, one White pawn odds, each of the 8 in turn). First match victories giving the traditional "pawn and move" and "exchange" odds to grandmasters in non-blitz matches (Komodo against Movsesian and Lenderman 2015). First match victory giving two pawn odds to a super-GM (Komodo Dragon vs Hikaru Nakamura 2020). Today we'll see if we can add to the list, or have to wait a bit longer...
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:11 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 pm
We knew by then that sooner or later computers would defeat the human world champion in a standard match (I think I called the correct year almost exactly), but the idea that a computer could ever beat a grandmaster in a fairly serious match at knight odds was something no strong chess player even imagined possible. Even in 2008, when FM John Meyer, whose strength was perhaps 2120 FIDE or so, beat Rybka easily by 4 to 0 in a Rapid match, it seemed obvious that it was just impossible for any computer to give knight odds at such a time limit to an active Grandmaster. I'll bet that even now most grandmasters who aren't following our matches would say it is impossible. Well, we may not win this match, at least not by standard scoring, but if we don't win this one, it is clear that before too long we will reach this goal.
It has been my good fortune to be present at or involved with most of the milestones in engine vs human chess. First tournament victory over a human by MacHack in 1967 (I was present as part of the team). First plus score against Grandmasters in a human blitz tournament by Rexchess in 1989 (I was operator and co-author). First Rapid victory in a game against a former World Champion (a Mephisto model vs Boris Spassky in 1989, I was the operator). First official master rating for a commercial engine (Fidelity Mach II, I was involved in the rating test). First match victory in standard chess over a World Champion (Deep Blue vs Kasparov 1997, I was the first human master match opponent for a predecessor version of Deep Blue, called "ChipTest" (I won the match). First non-blitz match victory for an engine giving material odds to a grandmaster in 2007 (Rybka vs Elvest, one White pawn odds, each of the 8 in turn). First match victories giving the traditional "pawn and move" and "exchange" odds to grandmasters in non-blitz matches (Komodo against Movsesian and Lenderman 2015). First match victory giving two pawn odds to a super-GM (Komodo Dragon vs Hikaru Nakamura 2020). Today we'll see if we can add to the list, or have to wait a bit longer...
I remembered when you wrote in PLY Magazine (2/88) in 1988 and provided a method for you to test the different versions. This Article back in 1988 about the Fidelity Mach II and because of your testing and method of testing I purchased the Version C1 of this Fidelity Mach II when I was just learning how to move the pieces at the young age of 17 Years, I still have it and once in a while I play against it. http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/mach_ ... rsion.html
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Score Day 1:

I chat a bit with Anthony today, he told me he will speak less today because explaining moves takes about half of the thinking time (he said).
And time was a big issue in each game he didn't win.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Vinvin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:11 pm
Score Day 1:

I chat a bit with Anthony today, he told me he will speak less today because explaining moves takes about half of the thinking time (he said).
Yes, that should indeed improve his chances today, along with the experience gained from yesterday. Most likely he will win the match by traditional scoring, while Komodo is likely to win by Armageddon scoring due to the 3 to 1 lead.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Re: L I V E Komodo vs GM Wirig knight odds match

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:39 pm
Vinvin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:11 pm
Score Day 1:

Yes, that should indeed improve his chances today, along with the experience gained from yesterday. Most likely he will win the match by traditional scoring, while Komodo is likely to win by Armageddon scoring due to the 3 to 1 lead.
In that case Komodo might only draw 2 games and lose 2 today in which based on the agreement, Komodo will win the overall match since draw count for a win :roll:
The match is starting in 30 minutes ...
Live Twitch in French and English :