Moderator Elections

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rebel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm I am not sure if can hold fair elections right now, many members currently can't reach the forum. Also it's not known yet who is allowed to vote and who is not. Last, how is the voting done (there is no poll option) and who is going to count the votes.
At the last election votes were counted by a few, respected, members that were acceptable to all candidates. Votes were sent via pm to a nominated account. This would work again.

The issue of members not being able to connect is a problem.
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

I nominate Graham Banks
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

We are 2 days further, problem still remains, can't access the forum without VPN. Third time in a year this happens to me. When things become normal, what is Quentin Turner (the owner) saying? And what's the guarantee for the future?

Why should we not move to https://www.forumotion.com/

The setup is a piece of cake, polls are available, youtube support, likes support.

The pain is of course the Talkchess database but the people who still can access the forum still can search it.

I say, let's move and take things into our own hands, no more member blocking.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Good idea. I would say we call the campaign : shut down the shit.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I have been locked out of the forum for the past week. But I have been able to make e-mail contact with Quentin Turner at Chess U.S.A., and he relayed my IP address to the provider, so that I now have reliable access again. I have not had time yet to read through this thread; I just wanted everyone to know that I am back. I am aware that the problem for many others might still exist. I am in contact with Quentin, for discussing what can be done.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Your avatar says is: shut it down. Lets migrate somewhere else where ALL people have access not some.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

This is one of the options Quentin proposed. The database of the forum is very big, though. We need a pretty big server to run the forum.

A second problem is that the IP ranges are blocked not just for fun. There seem to be hacker attacks targeting TalkChess, which basically paralyze the server the forum is on. In the current situation that is both the ChessUSA website and TalkChess. Migrating solves the problem for ChessUSA, but might still leave TalkChess inoperable if we don't find a way to make it immune to the attacks. By some other means than disabling IP ranges.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

I’m withdrawing from the moderator elections. While I am comfortable with the time commitments of moderation, I know that I can’t handle the same for a site migration. I think the community deserves a team that can.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

dkappe wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 pmWhile I am comfortable with the time commitments of moderation, I know that I can’t handle the same for a site migration.
That is not on the moderation.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

I nominate Thorsten Czub (mclane) as moderator. I would like to see him in a team with Ed and Chris, to shut down TC and move to the forum Ed proposed.

--
Srdja