Moderator Elections

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Henk
Posts: 6998
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Henk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:05 am

Is it possible to nominate an AI bot as a member of a moderation team.
Or how do you know if some persons here are no AI bots or humans using AI bots.

Luecx
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Full name: Finn Eggers

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Luecx » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 am

I nominate Andrew Grant.

As one of the oldest members in this community, I do consider him to be the perfect moderator.

Hope this isn’t too late.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto

AndrewGrant
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant
Contact:

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by AndrewGrant » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am

Luecx wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 am
I nominate Andrew Grant.

As one of the oldest members in this community, I do consider him to be the perfect moderator.

Hope this isn’t too late.
I accept the nomination, if its not too late to submit.

OfekShochat
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 am
Full name: Ofek Shochat

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by OfekShochat » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 am

Andrew grant

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 26539
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by hgm » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 am

TalkChess has been unreachable for a few days by many (including me), and I am not even sure the problem is solved for everyone. It is of course important that during the elections everyone should have an opportunity to vote. Anyway, because of this it seems unreasonable to strictly enforce the deadline announced earlier. The deadline was set for practical reasons, not with the intention to exclude anyone; the more the merrier. So Andrew Grant can run as well.

That means we can go to the next stage. Not every candidate runs as part of a team, so we must allow voting for individual candidates. This opens the possibility that those aspiring to serve in a given team are elected, while their running mates are not. All candidates must declare in their policy statement whether they would be prepared to serve as a minority in a team with a policy they consider incompatible with their own, where they run the risk of being constantly outvoted.

Anyway, from now on this discussion can only contain policy statements of the candidates listed in the first posting of this discussion. Other postings should be made (or will be moved to) the electtion comments discussion.

Henk
Posts: 6998
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Henk » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:49 am

Moderation: There is a thread for discussion of the election. Henk please post in that.

Raphexon
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Raphexon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 pm

I'd like to nominate Andrew Grant too.

Nominating somebody once is all that is needed you can vote later.

smatovic
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by smatovic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 am

AndrewGrant wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 pm
...
Do you see a charter violation in posting links to stolen code from an closed source engine?

--
Srdja

AndrewGrant
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant
Contact:

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by AndrewGrant » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:11 am

smatovic wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 am
AndrewGrant wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 pm
...
Do you see a charter violation in posting links to stolen code from an closed source engine?
Yes I do. Which raises an interesting subject: Do engines which contain verbatim copies of Houdini code ( Not the parts of Houdini that came from Stockfish ), violate the charter, and should posts to them be removed? I believe the answer is yes. So if that was a topic of debate, there are 1/3 votes towards it. In addition there are easier questions: "Should links to even Houdini be allowed", and "Show links to Houdini be allowed given that it contains RE'ed Komodo code" (As alleged by Mark Lefler)

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6347
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Rebel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:35 pm

I am not sure if can hold fair elections right now, many members currently can't reach the forum. Also it's not known yet who is allowed to vote and who is not. Last, how is the voting done (there is no poll option) and who is going to count the votes.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply