Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Locked
Milos
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Milos » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:25 pm

hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Peter Berger wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:18 pm
You start with a wrong assumption here, namely that this rule would have been applied to every tournament entry.
Ah, yes, I forgot. It is perfectly OK to use doping in the Tour de France. Anyone who thinks differently goes from the wrong assumption that all participants will be tested for doping, and should have his mind fixed... :roll:
So you have a proof that not all participants are randomly tested at Tour de France and that some are privileged?

Milos
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Milos » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:27 pm

towforce wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:54 pm
The events happened around 10 years. The source code no longer has any competitive or commercial value.

I am bewildered that people are fighting passionately for a man who, if innocent, could have cleared his name at the drop of a hat at any time in the last 10 years.

What evidence is there that there's no copied code in Rybka?
Ok, so I am accusing you of being pedophile, now go ahead bring evidence and prove that you are not. :lol:
What happened to you, logic reasoning suddenly dropped to a level of 3-year old one?

chrisw
Posts: 4016
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by chrisw » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:51 pm

hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
IT WAS NEVER ASKED [!]
How is that relevant?

Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
Not even wrong. Troll.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6371
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm

hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
IT WAS NEVER ASKED [!]
How is that relevant?
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
As a commercial, someone who took the risk to make a living in the paper thin market of chess programming, it's one thing to show your secrets to the tournament director DURING a tournament without the risk of leaking, or to hand it over to competitors. In his situation I won't do it either. It's that what Chris was telling you. You act if you don't understand that calling it a damning accusation. You are lying. You did understand him.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Michel
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Michel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:31 pm

Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm
hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
IT WAS NEVER ASKED [!]
How is that relevant?
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
As a commercial, someone who took the risk to make a living in the paper thin market of chess programming, it's one thing to show your secrets to the tournament director DURING a tournament without the risk of leaking, or to hand it over to competitors. In his situation I won't do it either. It's that what Chris was telling you. You act if you don't understand that calling it a damning accusation. You are lying. You did understand him.
Come'on, the source code of R1.0b had no commercial value anymore (and there was already Strelka anyway).
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.

User avatar
towforce
Posts: 11023
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by towforce » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Milos wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:27 pm
Ok, so I am accusing you of being pedophile, now go ahead bring evidence and prove that you are not. :lol:

1. You have a clear motive for saying that: you're making a point

2. There's only one of you making the accusation - not several good people

3. The accusation is not backed up by a document of evidence

4. If I was being accused of being a paedophile by the CPS, and there was an obvious way to exonerate myself, I would probably take that option
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 26576
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by hgm » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:50 pm

Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
I don't think so. You were not with Vas all the time. That it wasn't asked is just your opinion. You have shown no proof.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6371
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Michel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:31 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm
hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
IT WAS NEVER ASKED [!]
How is that relevant?
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
Chris accused him of having no intention to give it, even when asked. That is a pretty damning accusation.
As a commercial, someone who took the risk to make a living in the paper thin market of chess programming, it's one thing to show your secrets to the tournament director DURING a tournament without the risk of leaking, or to hand it over to competitors. In his situation I won't do it either. It's that what Chris was telling you. You act if you don't understand that calling it a damning accusation. You are lying. You did understand him.
Come'on, the source code of R1.0b had no commercial value anymore (and there was already Strelka anyway).
Exactly the reason why there was no demand.

But decompiled rybka1.exe + assumptions + errors ≠ source code.

Also if you compare the Strelka source code (with its zillion of tables) with Fruit (which has only one - King Safety), Strelka (bit-board) Fruit (mailbox) they look nothing alike because in the end Strelka also was a decompile based on assumed code, good assumed code nevertheless with errors by the words of Vas.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6371
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 pm

hgm wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:50 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Well, it's you who said that we can't know. We can.
I don't think so. You were not with Vas all the time. That it wasn't asked is just your opinion. You have shown no proof.
So, if can find the posting(s) were Watkins, Wegner or Hyatt state there was no demand you will retract?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 26576
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: Time to rethink what Vasik Rajlich has done?

Post by hgm » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:51 pm

It would certainly help. But it would only prove that they did not demand it, right?

Locked