I declare that HCE is dead...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

towforce

Re: I declare that HCE is dead...

Post by towforce »

Branko Radovanovic wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:17 pm I see no evidence NNUE is inherently stronger than a (very) highly developed HCE. For Stockfish, the advent of NNUE did deliver an equivalent of 5 or so years of HCE development almost instantly, but for all we know, in a parallel universe where NNUE was never invented there might yet appear a 2025 HCE version of Stockfish which is stronger than the 2025 NNUE version of Stockfish.

You might be right, but I remember Ed telling me that because search had increased so much he was removing knowledge from the eval (this would have been more than 20 years ago). If the search uncovers the knowledge, then removing that knowledge from the eval increases elo by increasing the speed of the eval, and hence increasing the amount of searching that can be done.

Going forward, what is likely to happen is that computers simply become unbeatable (computer v computer would then almost always end in a draw), and the incentive to try to improve the eval (or, indeed, any other aspect of a chess engine) will then be gone. Unfortunately, this is likely to happen before computer evaluation of chess positions is actually solved.

I can see good reasons for interest in chess engines with a search limit (1 ply would be a good limit for eval test), a time limit (anything over a millisecond would be pointless), and a program size limit (so that it doesn't just become a game of who can train the biggest NN). Unfortunately, the interest level in such a game would undoubtedly be much lower than computer chess has attracted in the past.

One other possibility: how about proving that the opening position of chess is a draw? I am in a tiny minority, but, per previous discussions, I think that it could actually be done with today's technologies, and once you can do that, the techniques could then be used to determine whether any position is drawn.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

HCE is dead if you want Elo

HCE is very much alive if you love chess and programming
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

amanjpro wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:19 pm HCE is dead if you want Elo

+1
Isa download :
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

This doesn't seem a proven matter. The observation is that a NNUE of a given size is capable to learn all evaluation terms that were conceived in a HCE, so that there is no benefit to code the latter separately.

But running a NNUE is not free; it is a heavy computational task that slows down the engine. Using a smaller NNUE should thus gives the engine a significant depth advantage. But such a smaller NNUE might not be able to learn all important terms typically encountered in a HCE, while the HCE method of evaluating these is virtually free compared to the NNUE. In that case the HCE would still be of use.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

How big in size are typical evaluation functions of chess
engines today ??

100 kb ?
1 MB ?
10 MB ?
More ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

mclane wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm How big in size are typical evaluation functions of chess
engines today ??

100 kb ?
1 MB ?
10 MB ?
More ?
For SF it's currently 46MB.
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

hgm wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:11 pm This doesn't seem a proven matter. The observation is that a NNUE of a given size is capable to learn all evaluation terms that were conceived in a HCE, so that there is no benefit to code the latter separately.

But running a NNUE is not free; it is a heavy computational task that slows down the engine. Using a smaller NNUE should thus gives the engine a significant depth advantage. But such a smaller NNUE might not be able to learn all important terms typically encountered in a HCE, while the HCE method of evaluating these is virtually free compared to the NNUE. In that case the HCE would still be of use.
One of the people in the Stockfish Discord trained a net that was both faster than old classical, and better.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

amanjpro wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:19 pm HCE is dead if you want Elo

+++++
towforce

Post by towforce »

Raphexon wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:24 pm
mclane wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm How big in size are typical evaluation functions of chess
engines today ??

100 kb ?
1 MB ?
10 MB ?
More ?
For SF it's currently 46MB.

Is that the old hand coded one or the NN?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
toliveanddie76
Full name: Norman Cantoral

Post by toliveanddie76 »

mvanthoor wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:00 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:53 am Do others find their HCE's now virtually pointless?
The tuner in combination with lots of evaluation terms in the HCE works like sort of a poor man's neural network.

While it may not be necessary in the end, you do need something to actually get your engine going. A good set of tapered PST's is enough. Still, you need to understand what the HCE does, before you go to work on a neural network, or you'll be developing something you don't even know what it is about.
AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:47 am I'm not sure if its depressing, or liberating.
It's frightening. The entire world is going full steam ahead throwing neural networks and AI against every problem imaginable, while many people don't know (or care) the massive impact this can have. In the Netherlands, we got a nice little lesson regarding that, but I'm not sure if anyone learned anything...

This: Computer says "No"

With neural networks in the system, nobody knows _why_ the computer says "No", but everybody assumes it's correct.
the answer I have is very unpopular. and it stems from an opinion from a certain group (elites/left/whatever name is popular these days) about human nature that is being indoctrinated into the psyche of people around the world.
that humans aren't smart enough, aren't wise enough to take care of themselves or solve world wide problems. that in some cases, the human, is suppose to just give up and let someone/something/an alien/a computer make those choices. because whatever else is making those choices will OBVIOUSLY be smarter than a HUMAN making those decisions. I mean, hell, how many movies are going to tell us that aliens are smarter than us, that dolphins have more intellect. ETC ETC ETC ... and now A.I. is being thrown out there as being smarter than humans at solving these problems. again, in the eyes of these super elites, the rest of humanity is just too STUPID to solve these problems.

in other words, what we have is a bunch of people who LITERALLY BELIEVE and were taught at some point that humans just can't be smart enough to handle these problems.