Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: Commercial Release of Ethereal 13.00 (NNUE) for AVX2 Systems

Post by RubiChess »

Talkchess needs a new sub-forum "M1 fetish" where Alex can post the same questions again and again and that mainstream users can just ignore.
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:46 pm INDECENT REQUEST? :D

Andrew, could you please release a complete Ethereal 13.26 NNUE commercial ssse3 TRIAL (expiring after 1 hour) to test if it works fine with 4 CPUs like Ethereal 12.75 SF NNUE does PERFECTLY on Windows 11 ARM64?

...Only to understand what is happening to my beta Windows 11 ARM64 that works with all other popcount ssse3 | sse41 engines and WinARM64 builds like Igel 3.0.5 (neon) NNUE Arm64 and RubiChess 2.2 WinArm64 (neon) ? :)

Or maybe you could test Ethereal 13 NNUE on a Microsoft Surface Windows 10 | 11 ARM64...
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/2094 ... pecs-price

THANK YOU!
Best regards, AlexChess
(the troll :shock: )
Dude, Ethereal is commercial, respect that... It is perfectly normal for a GPL engine (software) to be commercial, as long as whatever is sold under GPL, has its source publicly available. In this sense, Ethereal perfectly respects the license.

You had no problem paying for Apple M1, and MS Surface, but you find it hard to justify paying for an engine that you want to test? this is very disrespectful for the author of the engine.

The source code of Ethereal is there, you can grab it, install gcc and compile it... all you need, is your machine a bit of patience and a single make command... You can then download the NNUE file and have an engine as good as the commercial one.

FYI, I believe GPL doesn't allow you to have "trial" versions
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

+1

90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

OK
I hope that someone will test it on a Surface ARM64 device, because the github version doesn't work on my system with more than 1 CPU... tried multiple builds, maybe the commercial version has something different :)

Regards, AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:42 pm OK
I hope that someone will test it on a Surface ARM64 device, because the github version doesn't work on my system with more than 1 CPU... tried multiple builds, maybe the commercial version has something different :)

Regards, AlexChess
You really need to learn how licenses work, and what does it mean for a software to be GPL.

There can be EXACTLY NO DIFFERENCE between the commercial version and the free version. That is the beauty of GPL (or curse for some?). If you have 100 lines of code under GPL, you add one line to it, and want to sell your version (the one with 101 lines) or even give away the binary to others for free, YOU HAVE TO also give them your source code (all 101 lines). YOU CANNOT have private version for commercial purposes only.

There is no Github version and commercial version. There is Andrew's own compile (which he sells it), and your own compile (which is free). They both compile the same exact source code, using the same exact make file. Andrew cannot even use a different makefile without also releasing its source code.

Now, you know that... you should know that whatever issue is present in the version that you have (the free version), is also present in the commercial one, no matter who has compiled it
Last edited by amanjpro on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

RubiChess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm Talkchess needs a new sub-forum "M1 fetish" where Alex can post the same questions again and again and that mainstream users can just ignore.
OK, got it :)

No fetish, no money to build a new PC...

Regards, AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

amanjpro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Regards, AlexChess
You really need to learn how licenses work, and what does it mean for a software to be GPL.

There can be EXACTLY NO DIFFERENCE between the commercial version and the free version. That is the beauty of GPL (or curse for some?). If you have 100 lines of code under GPL, you add one line to it, and want to sell your version (the one with 101 lines) or even give away the binary to others for free, YOU HAVE TO also give them your source code (all 101 lines). YOU CANNOT have private version for commercial purposes only.

There is no Github version and commercial version. There is Andrew's own compile (which he sells it), and your own compile (which is free). They both compile the same exact source code, using the same exact make file. Andrew cannot even use a different makefile without also releasing its source code.

Now, you know that... you should know that whatever issue is present in the version that you have (the free version), is also present in the commercial one, no matter who has compiled it
The macOS M1 build of 13.xx github works fine with all 8 CPUs. On it the NNUE is completely disabled. I DON'T WANT the engine for free. I want only to know before buying if the commercial version will work on my system or will be useless.

Regards, AlexChess
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I am working on ARM things. Its why I've not dropped 13.25, despite passing it on github, getting advanced copies to a couple rating lists, and deciding what to do in regards to those who bought 13.00. But frankly Alex, I don't really want to interact with you. I have purchased an ARM device and can sort that out on my own just so I can get back to android support. The ARM marketshare on desktop CPUs is near zero. The documnetation for vector operations is not as readily available, or as widely understood, as the instruction sets released by Intel, subsequently adopted by AMD.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:26 pm I am working on ARM things. Its why I've not dropped 13.25, despite passing it on github, getting advanced copies to a couple rating lists, and deciding what to do in regards to those who bought 13.00. But frankly Alex, I don't really want to interact with you. I have purchased an ARM device and can sort that out on my own just so I can get back to android support. The ARM marketshare on desktop CPUs is near zero. The documnetation for vector operations is not as readily available, or as widely understood, as the instruction sets released by Intel, subsequently adopted by AMD.
OK sorry, I will not post anymore on Ethereal. Thank you for this answer.

Best regards, AlexChess
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 pm
amanjpro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Regards, AlexChess

The macOS M1 build of 13.xx github works fine with all 8 CPUs. On it the NNUE is completely disabled. I DON'T WANT the engine for free. I want only to know before buying if the commercial version will work on my system or will be useless.

Regards, AlexChess
That is because Ethereal has issues supporting M1 (or as per Andrew, all ARM CPUs), it doesn't matter if it is commercial or not... now you know, I hope you stop harassing Andrew