Chess.com free engine for android, is.....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Chess.com free engine for android, is.....

Post by S.Taylor »

This chess playing, which plays instantly from my android, samsung s9, at level 25, is, imho a perfect chess playing level.
You could never expect better chess from any GM or WC in any generation.
If u go to any simultaneous exhibition of any world champion, ever, and you have 5 minutes per move and he has 1 second, or even up to 7 or 8 seconds, you would be more likely to beat the wc than this device on this setting.
In fact if u cheat with this, on its instant level, you will probably beat the WC in every game in which u are a member of the simul vs the GM.
It's wonderful how it always finds a way to weaken your position, until eventually you can't defend and have to concede, not only the position, but material and the game.
S.Taylor

Re: Chess.com free engine for android, is.....

Post by S.Taylor »

In continuation, yes, i know that one or two smartphone engines might be a little stronger. But this free engine is also way above any human world champion at bullet/timings.
I even think that deeper blue at tournament settings, would not stand a chance against this, on instant setting.
And you carry it around in your smallest pocket!
I remember till not that long ago, when the famous professor, programmer of crafty (name?), was practically worshipping deeper blue. Gone are those days!
Personally, see next post....
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Personally, i feel it is impossible for me to ever beat or avoid loss.
I was, perhaps 2300+ when i was passionate at chess, and i still have the same appreciation of the game, and what kind of moves can be made.
I'm actually improving my experience with this device, though my concentration level and will to work hard and win is not like it was. But it's clear to me, that i can't even come out with one sortie in any tactic or strategy, with any advantage from having played what i played. This engine, at level 25, will not concede the slightest tactic or strategy or advantage of any kind. Maybe if a master level player would sit on every move a long time, he might occasionaly work everything out, and go up 0.20 of a pawn in evaluation once or twice. But it won't concede much more than that, and then in an instant, it will see a weakness in one of your moves and will neutralize any advantage you might have squeezed out. It doesn't concede much, even when it does.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

After this, i explained much more, and i had a phone call in the middle and came back to write more which i put a lot of thought into. but editing was denied. Sorry! It all got lost!
Time is money. I can't do this.
towforce

Post by towforce »

S.Taylor wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm I remember till not that long ago, when the famous professor, programmer of crafty (name?), was practically worshipping deeper blue.

That would have been Robert ("Bob") Hyatt.

Chess.com have 6 apps on the play store - link. I'm guessing that the one you're using is "Champion Chess"?

Andrew Grant works for chess.com IIRC - I wonder if he contributed to this app?

As I've said before, I like the chess.com website a lot: for me, it meets all my chess computer needs handily!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

towforce wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 pm
S.Taylor wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm I remember till not that long ago, when the famous professor, programmer of crafty (name?), was practically worshipping deeper blue.

Chess.com have 6 apps on the play store - link. I'm guessing that the one you're using is "Champion Chess"?

As I've said before, I like the chess.com website a lot: for me, it meets all my chess computer needs handily!
Yes, Bob Hyatt.
I didn't know there were other engines. The one which i think is the one i have is, play and learn. Only 34mb.
It doesn't have all the features if you don't go premium.
But it's still absolutely fantastic.
I just can't get over it, because, it instantly, on level 25, shoots out the strongest of positional moves i used to encounter when i used to play a great international master, years ago. He, in the flesh, seemed much more impressive than when i see vids of top gm's commentating on games.
But this machine spews it out instantly and i relive that feeling like with that international master.
He once explained to me that he was actually a GM but for some beaurocratic reasons israel was not granted a GM at that time.
As much as i sit on the instant moves from the level 25, i cannot figure out how i could have done better or as well, in a serious setting in a tournament. It's not only tactical things i might miss, but it makes great positional moves with ideas i wouldn't have thought of, and this is educational.
Thanks for the link, Graham. I will see if i can download the champion program. It might have better analysis features too.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

towforce wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 pm

A number of days ago, i downloaded the chess engine from chess.com named "champion chess", and although it is many more megabytes than "chess, play and learn", it is nowhere near as interesting to me.
It does not have a comprehensive analysis function, which is perhaps the most interesting thing for me, including to be able to set up a position and analyze it.
The engine chess play and learn has a reasonably good analyze function for games just played with that engine. But still not for set up positions, and only offers a few seconds of analysis per move, and a second best move.
In both engines, i am talking about the free engine. But i don't think the premium versions (where you pay per month) offer you much more by way of analysis, maybe just a little.