Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
pohl4711
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:25 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Full name: Stefan Pohl
Contact:

Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by pohl4711 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 am

https://abrok.eu/stockfish/

Author: Tomasz Sobczyk
Date: Tue May 18 18:06:23 2021 +0200
Timestamp: 1621353983

New NNUE architecture and net

Introduces a new NNUE network architecture and associated network parameters, as obtained by a new pytorch trainer. The network is already very strong at short TC, without regression at longer TC, and has potential for further improvements.


I started my 7000 games testrun... Result should go online next Friday.
Stay tuned!

Spliffjiffer
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by Spliffjiffer » Wed May 19, 2021 11:28 am

yes, had a quick test yesterday with Jörg Oster's HalfKAv2 (exp HalfKAv2 version) and it did score around 25 elo better than my cfish "pure" in a quick1min+0.2sec inc-testmatch...looking forward to a real test like yours :-)

unfortunately i still cant run SF with incomplete TB's because it stops analsing then when TB's getting hit :-(
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.

Modern Times
Posts: 2916
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by Modern Times » Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am

Will they release it as SF14 I wonder.
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

User avatar
pohl4711
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:25 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
Full name: Stefan Pohl
Contact:

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by pohl4711 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am

Modern Times wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am
Will they release it as SF14 I wonder.
Do not think so. The Elo gain is not that big... The "normal" LTC test in the SF-framework (with 60''+600ms thinkingtime) gave +5.85 Elo.

But, as written on abrok.eu, this new architecture and bigger netsize is a great base for further improvements. Thats the good news. Because, since the release of Stockfish 13, 3 months ago, the progress of SF was very small.

peter
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 am
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by peter » Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am

Spliffjiffer wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:28 am
Jörg Oster's HalfKAv2 (exp HalfKAv2 version)
Good to know that too, thanks regards
Peter.

Joerg Oster
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by Joerg Oster » Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 pm

peter wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am
Spliffjiffer wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:28 am
Jörg Oster's HalfKAv2 (exp HalfKAv2 version)
Good to know that too, thanks regards
Just to clarify, it was my compile, yet the net and code from @sopel (Tomasz Sobczyk). :wink:
Jörg Oster

peter
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 am
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by peter » Wed May 19, 2021 12:35 pm

Joerg Oster wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 pm
peter wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am
Spliffjiffer wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:28 am
Jörg Oster's HalfKAv2 (exp HalfKAv2 version)
Good to know that too, thanks regards
Just to clarify, it was my compile, yet the net and code from @sopel (Tomasz Sobczyk). :wink:
Thought so anyhow, Jörg, thanks.
So we just have to wait for a MOJO- update to have Pure NNUE and Nullmove option again also and thanks btw for recent 1.5 version
:)
Peter.

schack
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 am
Contact:

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by schack » Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Is anybody seeing a difference in processor behavior with this new net? For some reason when I go from 16 to 32 threads the processor (5950x) now won't do much boosting at all. At 16 threads it's at 4.1ghz; at 32, it's at like 3.6. This was not the behavior with the version from just a couple of days ago.

Cornfed
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 pm
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by Cornfed » Thu May 20, 2021 12:31 am

pohl4711 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am
Modern Times wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am
Will they release it as SF14 I wonder.
Do not think so. The Elo gain is not that big... The "normal" LTC test in the SF-framework (with 60''+600ms thinkingtime) gave +5.85 Elo.

But, as written on abrok.eu, this new architecture and bigger netsize is a great base for further improvements. Thats the good news. Because, since the release of Stockfish 13, 3 months ago, the progress of SF was very small.
So...how is it a great "base for further improvements"?

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Stockfish with new NNUE architecture and bigger net released

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Thu May 20, 2021 1:10 am

Cornfed wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:31 am
pohl4711 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 am
Modern Times wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am
Will they release it as SF14 I wonder.
Do not think so. The Elo gain is not that big... The "normal" LTC test in the SF-framework (with 60''+600ms thinkingtime) gave +5.85 Elo.

But, as written on abrok.eu, this new architecture and bigger netsize is a great base for further improvements. Thats the good news. Because, since the release of Stockfish 13, 3 months ago, the progress of SF was very small.
So...how is it a great "base for further improvements"?
Because they can tweek new network to gain another 5-10 elo..
They had been tweeking the same old network for 4-5 months and keep gaining small elo,? 5-10?.

Post Reply