SF - Dragon match question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

SF - Dragon match question

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2021 5:27 am

I want to play a 100 game match (with the 50 gambit positions) between SF13 and the Dragon (the obvious leaders on the GRL) using 20 cores, TC=10m+10s (average 15-20 seconds per move) then what would be the ideal hash table size for such a setup, 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb? Never done this before. Match will run using my improved webmatch util (live broadcast eng-eng matches) currently in beta test at:

http://rebel13.nl/pgn4web-3.05/live-test.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Werewolf
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Werewolf » Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am

How much RAM have you got in total?

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 am

Werewolf wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am
How much RAM have you got in total?
16Gb on one, 32Gb on another.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Spliffjiffer
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Germany

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Spliffjiffer » Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 pm

with 20 cores and 10s increment id go with 2-4GB, probably 4GB but im not very experienced in eng vs eng matches
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.

Modern Times
Posts: 2917
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Modern Times » Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 pm

What is the hardware that can run 20 threads ?
.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Modern Times wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 pm
What is the hardware that can run 20 threads ?
http://www.rebel13.nl/pgn4web-3.05/info.txt
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Joost Buijs » Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 pm

It's 10 cores not 20, there is a big chance that running the engines with 20 threads on this hardware will only weaken them.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Joost Buijs wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 pm
It's 10 cores not 20, there is a big chance that running the engines with 20 threads on this hardware will only weaken them.
It's 2x10 cores, 20 cores, 40 threads :wink:
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Leo
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Leo » Mon May 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Looking forward to the match.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

Joost Buijs
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am
Location: Almere, The Netherlands

Re: SF - Dragon match question

Post by Joost Buijs » Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:49 pm
Joost Buijs wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 pm
It's 10 cores not 20, there is a big chance that running the engines with 20 threads on this hardware will only weaken them.
It's 2x10 cores, 20 cores, 40 threads :wink:
Then it is a dual processor system, this was not clear from the link you posted.

It says:

. Hardware : Intel Xeon E5 2680 v2
. Frequency : 2.8 - 3.6 Ghz
. Used cores : 20

Shouldn't it be:

. Hardware : 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2680 v2
. Frequency : 2.8 - 3.6 Ghz
. Used cores : 20

Post Reply