Mephisto Europa can draw with Stockfish 13

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Emre_1974tr
Full name: Emre Karaköse

Mephisto Europa can draw with Stockfish 13

Post by Emre_1974tr »

With Threefold repetition...

I witnessed this in 2 matches.
Steve Maughan

Re: Mephisto Europa can draw with Stockfish 13

Post by Steve Maughan »

While not impossible, a computer at 1900 ELO will draw virtually zero games out of 1000 against Stockfish 13 running on a modern PC. I would imagine if you really did observe this it's a result of an opening book bug. Do you have a PGN of the games?

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Emre_1974tr

Post by Emre_1974tr »

Steve Maughan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm While not impossible, a computer at 1900 ELO will draw virtually zero games out of 1000 against Stockfish 13 running on a modern PC. I would imagine if you really did observe this it's a result of an opening book bug. Do you have a PGN of the games?

Steve
No, I didn't record the games. It was a chess computer versus pc fight for entertainment purposes anyway.

Both draws came under the rule of repeat three moves.

I can say a draw every ten games.
Emre_1974tr

Post by Emre_1974tr »

Emre_1974tr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 pm
Steve Maughan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm While not impossible, a computer at 1900 ELO will draw virtually zero games out of 1000 against Stockfish 13 running on a modern PC. I would imagine if you really did observe this it's a result of an opening book bug. Do you have a PGN of the games?

Steve
No, I didn't record the games. It was a chess computer versus pc fight for entertainment purposes anyway.

And;

Mephisto Europa was at level A3. (thinks 15 seconds per move).

Stockfish had 1 + 1 thinking time on a 4-core computer.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Europa has Frans Morsch engine in it, right ?!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hard to believe. The rating difference is >1500 ELO, so there is zero chance Stockfish 13 would draw 1 in 10 games. A couple of possibilities: you had Stockfish on a "easy" level; there was some other configuration issue; or you're trolling.

Steve

Steve

http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Steve

Nonsense
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Steve Maughan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:03 pm Hard to believe. The rating difference is >1500 ELO, so there is zero chance Stockfish 13 would draw 1 in 10 games. A couple of possibilities: you had Stockfish on a "easy" level; there was some other configuration issue; or you're trolling.

Steve

Steve

I can only tell that the OP has a history here, but not much of it is left after CTF sank into oblivion ;-)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Emre_1974tr

Post by Emre_1974tr »

Stockfish played at the strongest level and the "ponder was on".

As far as I understand the stockfish doesn't mind getting a draw with three reps. More precisely, he does not see as a problem. And it makes three repetitions.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Emre_1974tr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:32 pm Stockfish played at the strongest level and the "ponder was on".

As far as I understand the stockfish doesn't mind getting a draw with three reps. More precisely, he does not see togetherness as a problem. And it makes three repetitions.
You posted no games.
I guess that you gave stockfish an opening book that lead to bad positions so it was happy to make a draw by repetition.