Question for Ed Shroder

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Question for Ed Shroder

Post by lkaufman »

Since Rebel played several matches with strong GMs at standard time controls around the turn of the century, performing a bit below 2700 I would estimate if we rate them all together, my question is this: What FIDE rating would you expect "Benjamin" to earn in similar matches now, running on a typical i7 (say the reference hardware for CCRL), given that Benjamin is an improved version of those older engines and the hardware is much better now (even if perhaps some of those old Rebels ran on 2 or even 4 threads for those matches, I don't have that info)? How much better is Benjamin, and how much better is the hardware (allowing for Benjamin using only one thread)? This would help determine the human equivalent (at 40 moves in two hours) of the CCRL ratings of engines in the ballpark of 2700. You would probably be the best person to make this judgment.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Question for Ed Shroder

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:39 am Since Rebel played several matches with strong GMs at standard time controls around the turn of the century, performing a bit below 2700 I would estimate if we rate them all together, my question is this: What FIDE rating would you expect "Benjamin" to earn in similar matches now, running on a typical i7 (say the reference hardware for CCRL), given that Benjamin is an improved version of those older engines and the hardware is much better now (even if perhaps some of those old Rebels ran on 2 or even 4 threads for those matches, I don't have that info)? How much better is Benjamin, and how much better is the hardware (allowing for Benjamin using only one thread)? This would help determine the human equivalent (at 40 moves in two hours) of the CCRL ratings of engines in the ballpark of 2700. You would probably be the best person to make this judgment.
It would also be a great Idea to match the same version of Rebel that drew versus Anand using 1 thread against Komodo MCTS with the same 2 pawns Odds offered to Nakamura on the 2nd day.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:39 am Since Rebel played several matches with strong GMs at standard time controls around the turn of the century, performing a bit below 2700 I would estimate if we rate them all together, my question is this: What FIDE rating would you expect "Benjamin" to earn in similar matches now, running on a typical i7 (say the reference hardware for CCRL), given that Benjamin is an improved version of those older engines and the hardware is much better now (even if perhaps some of those old Rebels ran on 2 or even 4 threads for those matches, I don't have that info)? How much better is Benjamin, and how much better is the hardware (allowing for Benjamin using only one thread)? This would help determine the human equivalent (at 40 moves in two hours) of the CCRL ratings of engines in the ballpark of 2700. You would probably be the best person to make this judgment.
Ed is maybe now reachable in his prodeo forum
https://prodeo.actieforum.com/

I doubt he will answer here. Maybe you try it there Larry.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Here is Ed's reply. Ed will not post here. As many of us are transitioning to a better forum.
Since I no longer post there but want to answer Larry anyway - Rebel in 2003 (IIRC on an AMD 450 MHz PC) played 4 games at tournament time control (40/2h) against GM Loek van Wely then rated 2700+ and won 2, lost 2, a tie. I remember the games very well, all 4 were decided notable on attacking the King, the specialty of the human, that was a new experience for me.

Also the first tournament game against Anand in 1998 Rebel had a winning position attacking the King but failed to cash a full point missing a simple continuation due to the lack of depth, something Benjamin sees instantly. Instead Rebel decided to enter the endgame (with material advantage) too early which Anand brilliantly defended into a draw.

It's hard to make a prediction, but for an educated guess, I doubt GM's rated 2750 will have a chance in a 6 game match, and I wouldn't be surprised if Benjamin would win a 6 game match against 2800 players.
If you have any more questions Larry. Ed has a thread started here.

https://prodeo.actieforum.com/t60-larry
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 pm
Here is Ed's reply. Ed will not post here. As many of us are transitioning to a better forum.
Since I no longer post there but want to answer Larry anyway - Rebel in 2003 (IIRC on an AMD 450 MHz PC) played 4 games at tournament time control (40/2h) against GM Loek van Wely then rated 2700+ and won 2, lost 2, a tie. I remember the games very well, all 4 were decided notable on attacking the King, the specialty of the human, that was a new experience for me.

Also the first tournament game against Anand in 1998 Rebel had a winning position attacking the King but failed to cash a full point missing a simple continuation due to the lack of depth, something Benjamin sees instantly. Instead Rebel decided to enter the endgame (with material advantage) too early which Anand brilliantly defended into a draw.

It's hard to make a prediction, but for an educated guess, I doubt GM's rated 2750 will have a chance in a 6 game match, and I wouldn't be surprised if Benjamin would win a 6 game match against 2800 players.

OK, so Ed is confirming my belief that to estimate FIDE ratings at 40 moves in 2 hours, the CCRL 40/15 ratings of engines rated around 2700 should be increased by 100 elo at least. Since engines perform at least a hundred elo better in Rapid than in Classical vs. humans, we should add 200 to the CCRL 40/15 ratings to estimate performance at 15' + 10" vs. the top human players. So for Nakamura, Rapid 2829, we want a CCRL rating around 2629. I'll try to determine what nps setting for Lc0 j92-330 would get about that rating.

Komodo rules!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:07 pm

OK, so Ed is confirming my belief that to estimate FIDE ratings at 40 moves in 2 hours, the CCRL 40/15 ratings of engines rated around 2700 should be increased by 100 elo at least. Since engines perform at least a hundred elo better in Rapid than in Classical vs. humans, we should add 200 to the CCRL 40/15 ratings to estimate performance at 15' + 10" vs. the top human players. So for Nakamura, Rapid 2829, we want a CCRL rating around 2629. I'll try to determine what nps setting for Lc0 j92-330 would get about that rating.

Thanks. And yes I am also sure now it will be less then 2 nps.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm

One has to specify the MinibatchSize when talking of (low) nodes per move with Lc0. For nodes per move in dozens, the strongest setting is MinibatchSize = 1.

So, with the default MinibatchSize = 256, I am still getting nps = 2.0 both from my older calibration and the new Nakamura adjusted for distraction result (I take it to be the predicted at 50 nodes per move +3 -0 = 5 for Dragon instead of "distracted" +5 -0 = 3)

With MinibatchSize = 1, this nps = 1.2.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Laskos wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:56 pm

One has to specify the MinibatchSize when talking of (low) nodes per move with Lc0. For nodes per move in dozens, the strongest setting is MinibatchSize = 1.

So, with the default MinibatchSize = 256, I am still getting nps = 2.0 both from my older calibration and the new Nakamura adjusted for distraction result (I take it to be the predicted at 50 nodes per move +3 -0 = 5 for Dragon instead of "distracted" +5 -0 = 3)

I had the same issue. But I just changed to the CPU version. Doing the same thing.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:58 pm

I had the same issue. But I just changed to the CPU version. Doing the same thing.
I didn't know about this issue, but since I'm using the CPU version for this I suppose this means we're pretty much in agreement. So far 1.5 nps is coming out pretty close to the 2629 target value, I'll post when I have a final number for it.
Komodo rules!
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:06 pm
mwyoung wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:58 pm

I didn't know about this issue, but since I'm using the CPU version for this I suppose this means we're pretty much in agreement. So far 1.5 nps is coming out pretty close to the 2629 target value, I'll post when I have a final number for it.
I think the difference at the same nps between CPU nodes and GPU nodes is often larger than 20%, that is, larger than our differences. Also, I am using fixed nodes per move, you two are using time control with fixed nps at a very low value. I will keep my approach, as it shortens the simulated games, Lc0 moving instantly.