Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Paloma »

Cornfed wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:07 am Thanks!! I had things configured differently and could not find it until your last graphic.
BTW, how did you get that graphic onto this thread? I've tried Windows 'snipping tool' in the past but it would not work.
Directly this does not work in this forum;
that means, you have to upload a picture somewhere (e.g. https://imgbb.com/)
and insert the link here.

Insert image: (9. button from left.) [img]http://image_url[/img]
purechess
Full name: Heinrich Pulliter

Post by purechess »

Bug report:

Saving a Design doesn't save the selected pieces.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Hi Pham & all BSG fans!

A temporary workaround to fix the ghost engines added when you insert a new challenger to a tournament without the need of editing the .json. is to add the wanted new engine, then remove the games of the unwanted ghost engines added, keeping only the new desired one. The total games number will match. Now I have 56 engines and 1540 games, that is correct.

Best regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
ydebilloez
Full name: Yves De Billoëz

Post by ydebilloez »

Dear phhnguyen,

I have some feature request and a possible bug report.

Banksia to some extend reads the option name replies after the uci command, but I believe there is some issue.
My engine replies the following, and compared with Danash, there are some differences:
Danash replies with a newline before uci reply (not clear if required in the uci specifications), and all options start with uppercase.
My engine replies directly with id name and id author without a newline, and after that not always an uppercase option name. Also, one of the options I return contains the string type in the option (evaltype), while type is used to identify the way it should be parsed.

Result: the default value suggested is not taken by Banksiagui, and some options are not parsed. (In case you want to test with my engine, you will need to grab the next branch and compile)

The different results:

Code: Select all

$ ./belofte-next --uci --quit
id name Belofte 2.1.4
id author Yves De Billoez
option name alg type combo default AB var Random var StaticEval var BruteForce var SearchIterativeBF var AB var ABFS var ABFH
option name evaltype type combo default PositionalBoard var PiecesOnly var StaticBoard var PositionalBoard
option name UCI_ShowCurrLine type check default false
option name UCI_EngineAbout type string default Belofte 2.1.4 by Yves De Billoez 2004-2021, Released under the GNU GPL v2 license
option name UCI_Opponent type string default <empty>
uciok
Bye
$ ./danasah-6.50 
uci

id name DanaSah 6.5
id author Pedro Castro
option name OwnBook type check default false
option name Book File type string default ../book/book.bin
option name Hash type spin default 256 min 8 max 1024
option name EndGames Tablebases type combo default Gaviota-Scorpio var None var Gaviota var Scorpio var Gaviota-Scorpio
option name Bitbases Path type string default ../egbb/
option name Bitbases Men type spin default 4 min 4 max 6
option name Bitbases Cache Size type spin default 4 min 4 max 128
option name Bitbases Load type combo default LOAD_4MEN var LOAD_NONE var LOAD_4MEN var SMART_LOAD var LOAD_5MEN
option name GaviotaTbPath type string default ../gtb/gtb4/
option name GaviotaTbCache type spin default 16 min 16 max 128
option name Ponder type check default true
option name UCI_Chess960 type check default false
option name GUI Has Ucinewgame Command type check default true
option name Clear Hash type button
option name Clear Tablebases Cache type button
uciok
I also have a feature request. Banksia does not parse xboard feature option instructions. It would be a nice addition for the xboard engines out there.

$ ./belofte-next -xboard --protover --quit

feature done=0
feature ping=1 setboard=1 playother=0
feature usermove=1 time=1 draw=0
feature sigint=1 sigterm=1
feature analyze=0 debug=1 colors=0
feature name=1
feature myname="Belofte 2.1.4 (Linux/x86_64)"
feature option="alg -combo Random /// StaticEval /// BruteForce /// SearchIterativeBF /// AB /// ABFS /// ABFH"
feature option="evaltype -combo PiecesOnly /// StaticBoard /// PositionalBoard"
feature done=1
Bye
Regards,
Yves De Billoëz @ macchess belofte chess
Once owner of a Mephisto I, II, challenger, ... chess computer.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

ydebilloez wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:11 pm Dear phhnguyen,

I have some feature request and a possible bug report.

Banksia to some extend reads the option name replies after the uci command, but I believe there is some issue.
My engine replies the following, and compared with Danash, there are some differences:
Danash replies with a newline before uci reply (not clear if required in the uci specifications), and all options start with uppercase.
My engine replies directly with id name and id author without a newline, and after that not always an uppercase option name. Also, one of the options I return contains the string type in the option (evaltype), while type is used to identify the way it should be parsed.

Result: the default value suggested is not taken by Banksiagui, and some options are not parsed. (In case you want to test with my engine, you will need to grab the next branch and compile)

The different results:

$ ./belofte-next --uci --quit
id name Belofte 2.1.4
id author Yves De Billoez
option name alg type combo default AB var Random var StaticEval var BruteForce var SearchIterativeBF var AB var ABFS var ABFH
option name evaltype type combo default PositionalBoard var PiecesOnly var StaticBoard var PositionalBoard
option name UCI_ShowCurrLine type check default false
option name UCI_EngineAbout type string default Belofte 2.1.4 by Yves De Billoez 2004-2021, Released under the GNU GPL v2 license
option name UCI_Opponent type string default <empty>
uciok
Bye
$ ./danasah-6.50 
uci

id name DanaSah 6.5
id author Pedro Castro
option name OwnBook type check default false
option name Book File type string default ../book/book.bin
option name Hash type spin default 256 min 8 max 1024
option name EndGames Tablebases type combo default Gaviota-Scorpio var None var Gaviota var Scorpio var Gaviota-Scorpio
option name Bitbases Path type string default ../egbb/
option name Bitbases Men type spin default 4 min 4 max 6
option name Bitbases Cache Size type spin default 4 min 4 max 128
option name Bitbases Load type combo default LOAD_4MEN var LOAD_NONE var LOAD_4MEN var SMART_LOAD var LOAD_5MEN
option name GaviotaTbPath type string default ../gtb/gtb4/
option name GaviotaTbCache type spin default 16 min 16 max 128
option name Ponder type check default true
option name UCI_Chess960 type check default false
option name GUI Has Ucinewgame Command type check default true
option name Clear Hash type button
option name Clear Tablebases Cache type button
uciok
I also have a feature request. Banksia does not parse xboard feature option instructions. It would be a nice addition for the xboard engines out there.

$ ./belofte-next -xboard --protover --quit

feature done=0
feature ping=1 setboard=1 playother=0
feature usermove=1 time=1 draw=0
feature sigint=1 sigterm=1
feature analyze=0 debug=1 colors=0
feature name=1
feature myname="Belofte 2.1.4 (Linux/x86_64)"
feature option="alg -combo Random /// StaticEval /// BruteForce /// SearchIterativeBF /// AB /// ABFS /// ABFH"
feature option="evaltype -combo PiecesOnly /// StaticBoard /// PositionalBoard"
feature done=1
Bye
Regards,
Thanks a lot for the report!

I have downloaded and checked with belofte64-2.1.3 for macOS. You may check what your engine really sent to BSG via the Engine log panel or Engine log file (below illustration, the Engine log file can be set in the bottom line of the Settings dialog box). The problem I have found so far is that belofte sent a prompt string (belofte>) with the id name (in the same line) thus BSG ignores that id name. All other info/options work fine.

belofte> id name Belofte 2.1.3

Look like belofte64-2.1.3 doesn't have any feature option yet, isn't it?

belofte64-2.1 < xboard
belofte64-2.1 < protover 2
belofte64-2.1 > belofte>
belofte64-2.1 > feature done=0
belofte64-2.1 > feature ping=1 setboard=1 playother=0
belofte64-2.1 < accepted ping
belofte64-2.1 < accepted setboard
belofte64-2.1 < accepted playother
belofte64-2.1 > feature usermove=1 time=1 draw=0 sigint=0 sigterm=0
belofte64-2.1 < accepted usermove
belofte64-2.1 < accepted time
belofte64-2.1 < accepted draw
belofte64-2.1 < accepted sigint
belofte64-2.1 < accepted sigterm
belofte64-2.1 > feature analyze=0 debug=1 colors=0
belofte64-2.1 < accepted analyze
belofte64-2.1 < accepted debug
belofte64-2.1 < accepted colors
belofte64-2.1 > feature done=1
belofte64-2.1 < ping 1
belofte64-2.1 > pong 1
belofte64-2.1 < easy
belofte64-2.1 < post
belofte64-2.1 < new
I will check the feature option string of the XBoard protocol anyway.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:37 pm Feature Request:

Click Image for Larger View

Thanks for the report.

I have been struggling with that issue. It is easy to add a new setting variant, say, PV font size thus users can change the font size for PV lines as they want. However, I need all the text in that table displayed with the same font style and size, using only one setting font size for all of them. The problem is that the font (a freeware font, named FIG-TN-1.TTF - style Times) I have used for the piece's images (figures) for PV lines doesn't look the same size as the New times roman font under Windows even they are set with the same number for sizes. On other hand, that figure font doesn't have enough characters to use for other columns of the whole table.

Does anyone have a better font/solution? Thanks
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
ernest

Post by ernest »

Hi phhnguyen !

Any chance you can look into the problem with iPad/iPhone (since iPadOS 14.5/iOS 14.5) ?
Thanks !
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

ernest wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 am Hi phhnguyen !

Any chance you can look into the problem with iPad/iPhone (since iPadOS 14.5/iOS 14.5) ?
Thanks !
Sorry for the delay. The bug was fixed. However, I have been struggling when upgrading some engines to their newer versions, due to conflicting their code. Perhaps, I will stop upgrading some of them thus I can do a quick/minor release first.
ydebilloez
Full name: Yves De Billoëz

Post by ydebilloez »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:42 am
Thanks a lot for the report!

I have downloaded and checked with belofte64-2.1.3 for macOS. You may check what your engine really sent to BSG via the Engine log panel or Engine log file (below illustration, the Engine log file can be set in the bottom line of the Settings dialog box). The problem I have found so far is that belofte sent a prompt string (belofte>) with the id name (in the same line) thus BSG ignores that id name. All other info/options work fine.

belofte> id name Belofte 2.1.3

Look like belofte64-2.1.3 doesn't have any feature option yet, isn't it?

I will check the feature option string of the XBoard protocol anyway.
You are most welcome.

Yes indeed, the feature option is added for the upcoming release and is not yet available in 2.1.3. I will make a build for mac os for the upcoming release and ping you when it is available.

The issue of the belofte> prompt should go away if you call belofte with the --uci command line parameter. If you issue the uci command, it should not appear in front of the id. This is probably a bug in buffering in between cin and cout in my program. I will try to fix it in my program. Thanks for the information on debugging the io.

BTW, the drop down on linux is correctly filled in, but the default value is not pre-selected. After adding the engine, I have to manually select one of the entries.

Regards,
Yves De Billoëz @ macchess belofte chess
Once owner of a Mephisto I, II, challenger, ... chess computer.
ernest

Post by ernest »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:29 am
ernest wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 am Hi phhnguyen !

Thanks !
...The bug was fixed... Perhaps, I will stop upgrading some of them thus I can do a quick/minor release first.
Great !!!