Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

shaoxinyu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:00 pm It seems the backup files for tournaments are not working on Windows 10. GUI will be crashed when I use it.

In fact, if the GUI is crashed/quitted during a tournament, I couldn't open the GUI anymore. I have to delete the banksiaplaying.json to open the GUI.
Thanks for the report and sorry to hear that.

If you could, please recover that file (the crashed/deleted one of banksiaplaying.json) and send it to me. I have been working on the data safety issue for BSG and need to find and fix any issue. Many thanks.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:16 pm
I have checked the issue. Interesting. BSG detected and installed successfully the engine ClassicAra. If you open the file banksiaengine.json you can see that engine is in that file.

However, the user can't use it to play chess, because it tells BSG it knew to play... chess ;)

The problem is in this line from ClassicAra:

Code: Select all

option name UCI_Variant type combo default chess var chess var chess
However, typically BSG detects an engine as a chess engine if it says nothing about variants at all or uses words "standard", "normal" BUT not "chess".

On the other hand, MultiAra used the word "standard" thus it is fine for BSG:

option name UCI_Variant type combo default chess var chess var standard var fischerandom var chess960 var crazyhouse var kingofthehill var atomic var antichess var horde var racingkings var 3check var threecheck
Since there is no standard about names of variants, I am not sure if I should change BSG to adapt it or we should ask the author to use common ways, such as use the word "standard" or just stop sending about variants when the engine supports only chess.

BTW, he should make ClassicAra and MultiAra be consistent about variants.
I see, so the reason it worked after the edit I preformed was because I removed all of the variants from MultiAra and only left the standard chess one with all the other links changed to ClassicAra!

Thanks!
Last edited by AdminX on Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:24 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:16 pm
I have checked the issue. Interesting. BSG detected and installed successfully the engine ClassicAra. If you open the file banksiaengine.json you can see that engine is in that file.

However, the user can't use it to play chess, because it tells BSG it knew to play... chess ;)

The problem is in this line from ClassicAra:

option name UCI_Variant type combo default chess var chess var chess
However, typically BSG detects an engine as a chess engine if it says nothing about variants at all or uses words "standard", "normal" BUT not "chess".

On the other hand, MultiAra used the word "standard" thus it is fine for BSG:

option name UCI_Variant type combo default chess var chess var standard var fischerandom var chess960 var crazyhouse var kingofthehill var atomic var antichess var horde var racingkings var 3check var threecheck
Since there is no standard about names of variants, I am not sure if I should change BSG to adapt it or we should ask the author to use common ways, such as use the word "standard" or just stop sending about variants when the engine supports only chess.

BTW, he should make ClassicAra and MultiAra be consistent about variants.
I see, so the reason it worked after the edit I preformed was because I removed all of the variants from ClassicAra and only left the standard chess one!

Thanks!
That is fine.

Just take care that if you change any option of any engine, BSG will update the JSON file and probably write back the option variants of that engine and BSG will get trouble again with the engine next time.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
shaoxinyu
Full name: Xinyu Shao

Post by shaoxinyu »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:19 pm
shaoxinyu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:00 pm It seems the backup files for tournaments are not working on Windows 10. GUI will be crashed when I use it.

In fact, if the GUI is crashed/quitted during a tournament, I couldn't open the GUI anymore. I have to delete the banksiaplaying.json to open the GUI.

If you could, please recover that file (the crashed/deleted one of banksiaplaying.json) and send it to me. I have been working on the data safety issue for BSG and need to find and fix any issue. Many thanks.
I did some experiences again. I notice that if the computing info is Standard format then the GUI works. But if the computing info is TCEC format I can confirm the problem always happens. Here is the banksiaplaying.json: https://pastebin.com/SUbNFEsy
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

shaoxinyu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:19 pm

I did some experiences again. I notice that if the computing info is Standard format then the GUI works. But if the computing info is TCEC format I can confirm the problem always happens. Here is the banksiaplaying.json: https://pastebin.com/SUbNFEsy
Since you pointed out clearly, I could easily reproduce and fix the bug for the next release! Thanks a lot :D
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

So I just discovered by accident, that if you are using the 'Local Network' feature, as I often do. 8-)

PS: You can even do 'On the Fly Analysis' of the game in progress on the 3rd system. Very Cool!

Click above image for larger view.

Post by AdminX »

Bug Report:

On The Fly Analysis will not let you select new engine if you start On The Fly Analysis select say 'Stockfish' then stop the analysis and do a On The Fly Analysis again, it you just use the last engine you selected previously and not give you the option to select new engines.

Post by AdminX »

Feature Request:

Click Image for Larger View

Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Hi Pham!

New feature request:

The referral number of each failed game in a log or better in tech tab, so we can easily find them and repeat crashed / timeout games during a tournament.

Thank you!
Best regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Found another Bug to report.

I have been unable to change the 'Clock Digit Color' for either side. Also on a side note can you add the DigiFace font as a option for the clock digits.

Digiface Font:

Thanks Again!

PS: The other problem is that the text color seems to override everything in the clock area.