ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: ShashChess

Post by Cornfed »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:25 pm
Modern chess engines behave like chaotic systems as slight perturbations to initial conditions can evolve into very different behavior. Many factors can lead to these perturbations: OS using time for some background process, thermals affecting clock speed and nps, etc.
Not to be argumentative, but regarding these 20 games, you also said “With only 20 games, the CI is massive and any result barring an extreme result (my ephasis), is meaningless.”

The reason I asked about the results is precisely because I think 4 wins vs 1 loss in a short 20 game match where the engines are so very similar otherwise...IS an 'extreme result'.

Ultimately, I think you just disagree with amchess on the merits of STC vs LTC and his “characteristics concept” approach vs what I refer to as ‘the wisdom of big number’ (LOTS of data pointing towards a mean) found in normal Stockfish testing....or Komodo / Dragon, etc.

In many things in life I believe in the 'wisdom' of big numbers. Classical chess however – not talking about the variants, which I do not care about - where similar tabias are normally played to and 'essentially' where the game starts, I can see might well lean more towards the ‘wisdom’ found in the ShashChess results, if indeed these positions at LTC are as representative of normal '10 center types/characteristcs' as amchess claims.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

amchess

Post by amchess »

peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

amchess wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm New releases:
BrainLearn 14:
https://github.com/amchess/BrainLearn/releases/tag/14
ShashChess 19.0.1:
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/r ... tag/19.0.1
Thanks for the new versions, Andrea.
Having downloaded 19.0 already today, if I don't see any problems with UCI options, do I have to download 19.0.1 yet too?
Best regards
Peter.
amchess

Post by amchess »

peter wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:44 pm
amchess wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm New releases:
BrainLearn 14:
https://github.com/amchess/BrainLearn/releases/tag/14
ShashChess 19.0.1:
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/r ... tag/19.0.1
Thanks for the new versions, Andrea.
Having downloaded 19.0 already today, if I don't see any problems with UCI options, do I have to download 19.0.1 yet too?
Best regards
Hi, Peter.
We released 19.0.1 simply to fix the problem of UCI_elo and Uci_limitStrength options.
In fact, We duplicated them to be settable in chessbase products, but, unfortunately, the first different name I gave wasn't good:
UCI_elo_CB and Uci_limitStrenght_CB
because chessbase guis checks the first part of the string and they hide those options.
So, in 19.0.1, we renamed them in elo and limitStrength. In this manner, they can be set in chessbase products.
This is very useful for an OTB player to use our clever handicap mode.
Andrea
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

amchess wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 pm We released 19.0.1 simply to fix the problem of UCI_elo and Uci_limitStrength options.
Thanks a lot for the prompt answer, Andrea!
So, if it's only about limit strength- feature, I'll go on using 19.0 for now, yet good to know the difference to 19.0.1 regards
Peter.
amchess

Post by amchess »

peter wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 pm
amchess wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 pm We released 19.0.1 simply to fix the problem of UCI_elo and Uci_limitStrength options.
Thanks a lot for the prompt answer, Andrea!
So, if it's only about limit strength- feature, I'll go on using 19.0 for now, yet good to know the difference to 19.0.1 regards
yes, for otb players and in general people wanting to improve their chess understanding.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Is there a version for android?

Peter
amchess

Post by amchess »

Perhaps, someone can build it.
amchess

Post by amchess »