Judit Polgar Announces Retirement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jsgroby

Judit Polgar Announces Retirement

Post by jsgroby »

reflectionofpower

Re: Judit Polgar Announces Retirement

Post by reflectionofpower »

Not surprising. It seems like every time I saw her play lately she didn't look like her heart was in it. She's paid her dues and proved her point that she can play the best in the world and she has been that way for decades. Trying to raise a family is more than a full time job AND she wants to put some time in to her chess foundation so I don't blame her.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

She is quiting at 38. At that same age I am just starting :)
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Won't she keep a 2550+ level for many more years even without hard work?
reflectionofpower

S.Taylor wrote:Won't she keep a 2550+ level for many more years even without hard work?
At 2676 FIDE and 64-65th strongest player in the world among men I think she can stay at 2550 no problem. Unlike most women Judit plays a very aggressive,attacking style of chess.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Nice lady........met her at the US open in Hawaii in 1998........always liked her playing style........sharp openings, tactical play.......only problem is ....to play that way is very difficult if you don't have the time to prepare and the will to fight tooth and nail in those complex positions you get.....If she retires...it is a big loss for the chess world.....lets hope she changes her mind later......AR :wink:

ps She implies in the article that competitors are using computers to cheat?

The eight-time "Chess Oscar" winner also criticised today's game for being obsessed with technology, saying that "so many competitions are driven by who has the best computer"
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

supersharp77 wrote:Nice lady........met her at the US open in Hawaii in 1998........always liked her playing style........sharp openings, tactical play.......only problem is ....to play that way is very difficult if you don't have the time to prepare and the will to fight tooth and nail in those complex positions you get.....If she retires...it is a big loss for the chess world.....lets hope she changes her mind later......AR :wink:

The eight-time "Chess Oscar" winner also criticised today's game for being obsessed with technology, saying that "so many competitions are driven by who has the best computer"
I think that she means to opening preperation and not to cheating.
reflectionofpower

Uri Blass wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Nice lady........met her at the US open in Hawaii in 1998........always liked her playing style........sharp openings, tactical play.......only problem is ....to play that way is very difficult if you don't have the time to prepare and the will to fight tooth and nail in those complex positions you get.....If she retires...it is a big loss for the chess world.....lets hope she changes her mind later......AR :wink:

I think that she means to opening preperation and not to cheating.
That's the way I took it too. I did not even see "supersharp77" quote in this thread. Did he delete his post?

Lonnie
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

well if the opening lines stop at lets say move# 12-15 why would she be so worried about that? Do you really believe that at the Super GM level she would be so very concerned and worried that some other super GM has a better laptop or home pc than she has? lmao!! supersharp77 :wink: