I do better with black

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

I do better with black because ...

Poll ended at Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 pm

I am more proficient at countering
13%
My openings with black are better
56%
My opponent's white repertoire is not in high regard.
13%
I like a war of attrition from black's side
19%

Total votes: 16

reflectionofpower

I do better with black

Post by reflectionofpower »

I have noticed for a while that I do better percentage wise with black than white, about 5% better. Why do you think someone would be like that?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
supersharp77

Re: I do better with black

Post by supersharp77 »

Yes you can say that your "results are better with black" and why? Well in my opinion and based on many games played and observed the black pieces indeed do very well.......The concept is what I call "the counterattack is stronger than the attack"....I noticed in some games..especially against computers...I would have a strong attack going....the position looked almost winning....then at some point my attack slowed and my opponent started a very strong counter attack which turned the game around....thus we began to say.."counterattack was stronger than the attack"......That concept is my opinion as to why your black score is 5% above your white score....even though white has the supposed advantage of the first move....which means your results should be different from what they are....you openings chosen could be a major factor of course.......AAR :)

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 pm Post subject: I do better with black

I have noticed for a while that I do better percentage wise with black than white, about 5% better. Why do you think someone would be like that?

Lonnie
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

I'm not sure I do better, I've never seen that statistic.

But when playing active preferred black, always d6, and wait.

With White d4, and positionally, not too aggressively. :?
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

According to the games on Lichess, I am about 6% better as White than as Black.

It also reveals various other interesting statistics, such as the Philidor defence being Black's most common defence against me, and that I am most definitely a 1.e4 player.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
reflectionofpower

ZirconiumX wrote:According to the games on Lichess, I am about 6% better as White than as Black.

It also reveals various other interesting statistics, such as the Philidor defence being Black's most common defence against me, and that I am most definitely a 1.e4 player.

Matthew:out
Philidor does well but you better be familiar with the Bxf7+ scenario (Cochrane gambit). I used to get pummeled with that until I hit the analyze button on my games and saw the common weakness and played accordingly.

Someone plays e4 vs. me I will play Modern or Center-Counter Game. I have played a lot of French's. Lately I have been playing Caro-Kann which is very solid too. If M white I can go e4 with KG in mind or King's Indian Attack which I have trying lately. I have played lot of Queen's Gambit. You can't go wrong there either.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
gerold

Post by gerold »

reflectionofpower wrote:I have noticed for a while that I do better percentage wise with black than white, about 5% better. Why do you think someone would be like that?
I do about 10-15 % better playing with white. Never was good with black. Unless other player is very weak in the opening.
reflectionofpower

gerold wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:I have noticed for a while that I do better percentage wise with black than white, about 5% better. Why do you think someone would be like that?
I do about 10-15 % better playing with white. Never was good with black. Unless other player is very weak in the opening.
What I like about black is that I have a multitude of responses for white's e4 or d4 whereas white it's either e4 or d4 but that's not set in stone as 1)Nf3,Nc3,g3,b3 or whatever combination is good too. Whatever you feel comfortable with is the key and or suits your style.

Lonnie
Dicaste

Post by Dicaste »

My results with black are like same as yours. I am playing with black pieces better because there are two effects in chess;
• Making a plan
• Understand plan
I am better at understand my oppenent plan(s) probably you are too.
reflectionofpower

I got the two mixed up. The Cochrane Gambit is related to the Petrov Defense. The thing with aggressive gambits is too usually not accept them except if you know the lines which more than likely you don't or take the pawn and then just develop WITHOUT holding on to the extra material because this is usually where you get burned as your opponent gets accelerated development and a good attacking position.

I find that most people do not play the King's Gambit well on the black end as most try to hold onto extra pawn at the expense of their development. You must be familiar with the Falkbeer Counter-Gambit too.

[d]rnbqkbnr/ppp2ppp/8/3pp3/4PP2/8/PPPP2PP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 3

best bet is the move 3)exd5. 3)fxe5?? is a major blunder

I found something interesting that black plays after exd5. The Nimzowitsch Counter Gambit: 3...c6 In my database it gives black good chances and I have never seen anyone play against me. I might even play it from the black side, looks feisty.

[d]rnbqkbnr/pp3ppp/2p5/3Pp3/5P2/8/PPPP2PP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 4

Lonnie
reflectionofpower

Dicaste wrote:My results with black are like same as yours. I am playing with black pieces better because there are two effects in chess;
• Making a plan
• Understand plan
I am better at understand my oppenent plan(s) probably you are too.
That's a good point too.

Lonnie