Embedded freeware engines into ChessGenius Classic GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Embedded freeware engines into ChessGenius Classic GUI

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello,

over a decade ago, Eduard Nemeth descibed in which way Ruffian, Gandalf and Shredder can be embedded into http://web.archive.org/web/200312201045 ... schachthis GUI http://chessgenius.com/pc/

A quick tutorial from another user exists here, too:
http://www.geocities.ws/delbg/genius-en ... orial.html

If anybody of you still has working embedded freeware chess engines (with WinBoard/UCI-protocol) for ChessGenius Classic 7 or the 6.5 MCS Interface, please let me know.

Perhaps these pre-configurated editions can be hosted on CCWiki
- my example would be a collection comparable to the contribution
"WinBoard Engine under Fritz GUI" http://www.superchessengine.com/wb_engine.htm and the link wbconf.zip on the website of Claude Dubois
http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/suisse/fichiers.htm (WB2UCI)

EMail: norbert.raimund.leisner@arcor.de

(attachments ~ maximum of data volume ? 35 MB)

Best wishes,
Norbert
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Re: Embedded freeware engines into ChessGenius Classic GUI

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

I have Genius 7.2 and MCS (chess genius 6.5) with Zarkov and Wchess2000 but that is no picnic my friend........engines that work in 6.5 don't work in chess genius 7.2 and winboard or uci engines working with the adapter in 7.2 (which is a headache setting up) do not work at all in MCS 6.5 chess genius That my friend is one messed up interface....but of course that the the idea from the start....that way the public had to buy them both! lmao! :)
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Hey Norbert,

I have in MCS a lot of configured engines (Wb & Wb+UCI) and tournaments. Fortunately :lol: I'm now in mountains (over 2000m altitude) with only a tablet for read some forums.
In mid August I'll be your man !
For Mr.Ross: you can install -easy- ChessGenius 7.2 engine in MCS and all problems are solved !

Cheers,
SilvianR :wink:
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Yes I did install Genius 7.2 in MCS 6.5(easy).......but stockfish 221 amy 0.7 and thinker 5.1 and junior 2010 would not work in mcs 6.5 with the adapter set up for Genius 7.2......any ideas?
Sylwy

Re: Some clarifications

Post by Sylwy »

supersharp77 wrote:Yes I did install Genius 7.2 in MCS 6.5(easy).......but stockfish 221 amy 0.7 and thinker 5.1 and junior 2010 would not work in mcs 6.5 with the adapter set up for Genius 7.2......any ideas?
1.-Stockfish & Junior are pure UCI chess engines. Firstly you need to make these engines Winboard (via Polyglot adapter) to be able to use the WBConv.dll and the.eng files. Not easy if you are newbie :lol: Only the engines under WB protocol (and, of course, WB+UCI) can be converted directly in MCS protocol.
2.-Thinker 5.4 D Inert works very well. Be attentif to Thinker.eng structure. Again, isn' t too easy !
Amy - I never tested it in MCS !
3.-Adapter set up for Genius 7.2 engine in MCS ? Man, you need only to copy the Genius 7.2 engine under the apropriate folder of ChessGenius 6.5 GUI. Both GUIs used the same private protocol (Millenium Chess System - MCS). Genius 7.2 engine works perfectly in CG 6.5 GUI. I use CG 6.5 GUI because of its old & famous chess engines (mainly Zarkov 5) and because of its famous and huge GUI book !

Regards,
supersharp77

Re: Some clarifications Chess genius MCS 6.5

Post by supersharp77 »

No... moving chess genius 7.2 to MCS 6.5 was easy......but let me tell you working with the wb adapter and the polyglot and those settings in the wbconvdll eng settings for Genius 7.2 (or MCS 6.5) was a headache! Took a long time to set up only a few engines! And what for just to see Stockfish 221 and Amy 0.7 and Junior 2010 work over chess genius 7.2 in some blitz....Now what I really want to know is can I convert those MCS engines (Zarkov 5.0 and Wchess2000) back so they work in winboard in the Fritz GUI? AAR :)

supersharp77 wrote:
Yes I did install Genius 7.2 in MCS 6.5(easy).......but stockfish 221 amy 0.7 and thinker 5.1 and junior 2010 would not work in mcs 6.5 with the adapter set up for Genius 7.2......any ideas?

1.-Stockfish & Junior are pure UCI chess engines. Firstly you need to make these engines Winboard (via Polyglot adapter) to be able to use the WBConv.dll and the.eng files. Not easy if you are newbie Only the engines under WB protocol (and, of course, WB+UCI) can be converted directly in MCS protocol.
2.-Thinker 5.4 D Inert works very well. Be attentif to Thinker.eng structure. Again, isn' t too easy !
3.-Adapter set up for Genius 7.2 engine in MCS ? Man, you need only to copy the Genius 7.2 engine under the apropriate folder of ChessGenius 6.5 GUI. Both GUIs used the same private protocol (Millenium Chess System - MCS). Genius 7.2 engine works perfectly in CG 6.5 GUI. I use CG 6.5 GUI because of its old & famous chess engines (mainly Zarkov 5) and because of its famous and huge GUI book !

Regards,
SilvianR
Sylwy

Re: Some clarifications- tome ll

Post by Sylwy »

supersharp77 wrote:No... moving chess genius 7.2 to MCS 6.5 was easy......but let me tell you working with the wb adapter and the polyglot and those settings in the wbconvdll eng settings for Genius 7.2 (or MCS 6.5) 1.-was a headache! Took a long time to set up only a few engines! And what for just to see Stockfish 221 and Amy 0.7 and Junior 2010 work over chess genius 7.2 in some blitz....
2.-Now what I really want to know is can I convert those MCS engines (Zarkov 5.0 and Wchess2000) back so they work in winboard in the Fritz GUI? AAR :)

supersharp77 wrote:

1.-Stockfish & Junior are pure UCI chess engines. Firstly you need to make these engines Winboard (via Polyglot adapter) to be able to use the WBConv.dll and the.eng files. Not easy if you are newbie Only the engines under WB protocol (and, of course, WB+UCI) can be converted directly in MCS protocol.

Regards,
SilvianR
1.-A headache ? :lol: Yes,l know ! I keep in a big archive all the engines I created in years for MCS. Was a lot of work !

2.-Definitely NO. They are .dlls not .exes ! Possible to be native versions !

Regards,