What are your favorite chess engines?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Re: What are your favorite chess engines?

Post by supersharp77 »

For me I like Junior 7 Chessmaster 6000 (king 3.33 or 3.23) Rybka series, Robbolito g series, Thinker 5.1e, Thinker 4.6c, Gandalf 4,5,6...Chesspartner 5.4 (L Chess) Deep Sjeng, Doch, Komodo 1, Stockfish 2.22 ja....Fritz for Fun 4.....Toga 1.2.1a, Spike 1.0, Chess tiger 14, Rebel ProDeo 1.2......Szint Kasparov......Brainless.....Diep 2.0, Silke Chess, Scorpio......Shredder Classic....RDChess....:)

I would say Deep Juniors tuned to be more sacrificial as well as the Zappa Mexico II Dissident Aggressor tweak in looking over my human games. Chess Tiger 2007 is still feared by most GM's on ICC and this gives you a good view. MChess Pro was sweet as well as Wchess. Rebel was very solid & positional and of course Chess System Tal II.

Lonnie
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

supersharp77 wrote:For me I like Junior 7 Chessmaster 6000 (king 3.33 or 3.23) Rybka series, Robbolito g series, Thinker 5.1e, Thinker 4.6c, Gandalf 4,5,6...Chesspartner 5.4 (L Chess) Deep Sjeng, Doch, Komodo 1, Stockfish 2.22 ja....Fritz for Fun 4.....Toga 1.2.1a, Spike 1.0, Chess tiger 14, Rebel ProDeo 1.2......Szint Kasparov......Brainless.....Diep 2.0, Silke Chess, Scorpio......Shredder Classic....RDChess....:)

I would say Deep Juniors tuned to be more sacrificial as well as the Zappa Mexico II Dissident Aggressor tweak in looking over my human games. Chess Tiger 2007 is still feared by most GM's on ICC and this gives you a good view. MChess Pro was sweet as well as Wchess. Rebel was very solid & positional and of course Chess System Tal II.

Lonnie
I could add Fizbo, Rodent, Andscacs and Rhetoric as very interesting *currently developed* engines moving up thru the ranks under most people's radar. SmarThink is again being developed, as well :)

CL
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

I have sinned! I forgot to mention Vitruvius 1.11 H_HEM. I use it because of it's tendency to speculate to gain positional aspects of the game. It rips through the plies pretty fast too.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I like Nebiyu by Daniel Shawul. Especially NebiyuAlien. This is user-configurable to play almost any Chess variant, through an alien.ini file, which contains a section to define piece types, and then a section to describe Chess variants in terms of these piece types. It even supports drop variants like Crazyhouse and Shogi.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

hgm wrote:I like Nebiyu by Daniel Shawul. Especially NebiyuAlien. This is user-configurable to play almost any Chess variant, through an alien.ini file, which contains a section to define piece types, and then a section to describe Chess variants in terms of these piece types. It even supports drop variants like Crazyhouse and Shogi.
Look at Emanuel Lasker. He would play GO to prepare for his WC matches. I feel that GO,Shogi,Xiangqi can help a chess player as it makes them think differently and could enhance his chess.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
fern

Post by fern »

Those that I can beat once in 100 at least.
So my favorite chess contrivance is Chess Challenger 7.

Fern
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

fern wrote:Those that I can beat once in 100 at least.
So my favorite chess contrivance is Chess Challenger 7.

Fern
I once beat Rebel 7 (running on a 486 DX100) in a 5 minute blitz game so it's a sentimental favorite.

Kasparov's Gambit, another DOS program, is great fun when playing one of the dumber personalities, such as "Shemp" or "Neanderthal."
fern

Post by fern »

I like very much Gambit, specially when Kasparov Pop out to say something like "I am not sure you are in the right path now...."
In the past I could defeat some edge programs too, but, as in your case, they runned in old 486 machines with 32 Kb Ram.

Those were the times...

Fern
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

fern wrote:I like very much Gambit, specially when Kasparov Pop out to say something like "I am not sure you are in the right path now...."
In the past I could defeat some edge programs too, but, as in your case, they runned in old 486 machines with 32 Kb Ram.

Those were the times...

Fern
I, too, enjoyed the Challenger 7. Whenever the program was about to be checkmated, the red display would start flashing in an erratic, comical manner, as if to say, "Oh s**t," before signalling its resignation.
fern

Post by fern »

In fact, Bob, CC7 as favorite is kind of a joke. My favorite was and is Chess Champion Challenger, which was lot stronger than CC7 and in fact was my first comp. with a decent level of play.
It was a 1550 or 1570 machine, which let me beat it then and now, but no that easy. Spracklen programs were full of tricks and if you lose concentration they still can surprise you with a sudden kill.

Fern