When will we see HOUDINI in official tournaments?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

FriedmannC

When will we see HOUDINI in official tournaments?

Post by FriedmannC »

It is known as the best chess engine but Houdini doesn't participate in official tournaments..... What is the reason behind this thing? Why Robert Houdart doesn't challenge the Rybka Cluster in a match?
Houdini

Re: When will we see HOUDINI in official tournaments?

Post by Houdini »

A similar question was asked nearly 2 years ago (see here). The answer is still the same: time, money, relevance.

Participating in tournaments is probably good for marketing, but hardly relevant for my goal of creating the best chess engine.

Writing a cluster algorithm just for the sake of competing with the Rybka cluster once or twice a year doesn't make a lot of sense. If ever I write a Houdini cluster version (the "Houdini Hive"?) it would be for the end user, allowing him/her to use the combined power of a number of PCs, not for engaging in a hardware war with Rybka.

Robert
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

Thank you Robert for answering my question. What are the odds to see HOUDINI participating this year at the World Chess Software Championship and World Computer Chess Championship?
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Houdini wrote:A similar question was asked nearly 2 years ago (see here). The answer is still the same: time, money, relevance.

Participating in tournaments is probably good for marketing, but hardly relevant for my goal of creating the best chess engine.

Writing a cluster algorithm just for the sake of competing with the Rybka cluster once or twice a year doesn't make a lot of sense. If ever I write a Houdini cluster version (the "Houdini Hive"?) it would be for the end user, allowing him/her to use the combined power of a number of PCs, not for engaging in a hardware war with Rybka.

Robert
Vas, on the other hand, seems to like to make up for any innadequacies by aiming for top super-computer. He feels that this is an area he can conquer. But this is cowardice, and more self-serving.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Houdini wrote:A similar question was asked nearly 2 years ago (see here). The answer is still the same: time, money, relevance.

I am sure the CSVN can provide a good operator for you. The more relevant issue is if your current engine stays below the required 60% similarity, which is already pretty tolerant.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Rebel wrote:The more relevant issue is if your current engine stays below the required 60% similarity, which is already pretty tolerant.
LOL. What a joke.
I notice that the first CSVN tournament (Leiden) that is supposed to use this "60% similarity" rule has accepted Critter as participant.
Surely you're aware that Critter 1.2 and 1.4 are nearly indistinguishable from Houdini 1.5a in the similarity dendogram, and that this is not by accident, but by acknowledged RE-ing of Houdini 1.5a.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Houdini wrote:
Rebel wrote:The more relevant issue is if your current engine stays below the required 60% similarity, which is already pretty tolerant.
LOL. What a joke.
I notice that the first CSVN tournament (Leiden) that is supposed to use this "60% similarity" rule has accepted Critter as participant.
Surely you're aware that Critter 1.2 and 1.4 are nearly indistinguishable from Houdini 1.5a in the similarity dendogram, and that this is not by accident, but by acknowledged RE-ing of Houdini 1.5a.
Robert - does this apply to any versions earlier than Critter 1.2?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Houdini wrote:
LOL. What a joke.
Robert - does this apply to any versions earlier than Critter 1.2?
Graham,don't listen to this guy....he's hitting everyone under the belt just to stay at the top but this won't last forever....actually nothing does....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Graham Banks wrote:Robert - does this apply to any versions earlier than Critter 1.2?
It certainly doesn't apply to Critter 0.90 and older.
I don't know about the versions between Critter 0.90 and Critter 1.2.

Robert
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Houdini wrote:Surely you're aware that Critter 1.2 and 1.4 are nearly indistinguishable from Houdini 1.5a in the similarity dendogram, and that this is not by accident, but by acknowledged RE-ing of Houdini 1.5a.
:lol:

Either you have a strange sense of humor or you are completely insane.