Chess960 analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lekoandsvidler

Chess960 analysis

Post by Lekoandsvidler »

I am searching for just the right Chess960 engine and GUI with which to analyze my own Chess960 games. I have tried Smirf with FullChess and Spike with Arena. Is there another strong engine which I could try? Is there a version of Shredder which is Chess960 capable which I could purchase?
I am aware of Hiarcs and Loop and looking into them.
smrf

Re: Chess960 / SMIRF Bonus Engine

Post by smrf »

SMIRF is playing traditional chess, Chess960, 10x8 Capablanca Random Chess and a lot of other chess variants.

The actual SMIRF supporters' MS-167g bonus engine is about three times as strong as the free donationware engine version of SMIRF.

http://www.chessbox.de/Compu/schachsmirf_e.html

Reinhard Scharnagl.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Chess960 analysis

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Lekoandsvidler wrote:I am searching for just the right Chess960 engine and GUI with which to analyze my own Chess960 games. I have tried Smirf with FullChess and Spike with Arena. Is there another strong engine which I could try? Is there a version of Shredder which is Chess960 capable which I could purchase?
Sure Peter, all versions of Shredder do support Chess960 and maybe just as important; the Shredder GUI is a good environment for all the Chess960 capable UCI engines. There are coming more of these I think, aside from the castling rules there are not that many changes needed for the programmers to make a chess program play Fischer Random.

Of the free programs, you should try Naum 2.0 and Glaurung 1.2.1, Glaurung especially if you have a computer with more than one processor to use by the program. Commercial Naum 2.1 is I believe also multiprocessor capable? I don't know if any of these run under Arena, not that many I think. Hiarcs is at the moment the strongest commercial Chess960 player tested in the Shredder GUI, see the ratinglist made by Ray Banks from the CCRL:

http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/404FRC/

(The Complete List shows more versions tested by Ray)

Eelco