New Deep Sjeng

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

New Deep Sjeng

Post by fern »

Beautiful new gui, powerful engine, a pleasure to play it, but there are some nuisances. Or you see the clock or you see the list of moves, no both things at the same time. Why?
An the board cannot be re sized. Why, again? Seems like an still incomplete program in terms of features.
Well, just a first impression.

My best
Fernando
gerold

Re: New Deep Sjeng

Post by gerold »

fern wrote:Beautiful new gui, powerful engine, a pleasure to play it, but there are some nuisances. Or you see the clock or you see the list of moves, no both things at the same time. Why?
An the board cannot be re sized. Why, again? Seems like an still incomplete program in terms of features.

My best
Fernando
Really a nice program as you said. Another thing would be nice to
say what openings playing.

Gerold.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

fern wrote:Beautiful new gui, powerful engine, a pleasure to play it, but there are some nuisances. Or you see the clock or you see the list of moves, no both things at the same time. Why?

My best
Fernando
I am noticing a nice trend. Naum, Sjeng, and soon Delfi will all have SMP engines at an affordable rate. Zap, Rybka, and Loop are decent values as well.
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Sorry but I'm not impressed. The GUI is very basic and worth nothing. The engine is a definite improvement over previous versions though. I can't get Deep Sjeng 2.5 to run 2 cpu in Fritz 8 GUI. I can set the cpu=2 in Engine parameters but clearly it's only running one cpu. It works fine in Shredder 9 GUI. Also I get a blank screen every time I set the cpu=2 in both GUI. It takes a couple of clicks to get the screen back. I'm running Win XP Pro with 64X2/3800+ machine.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Have to agree with Fern here, it all appears to be very slick on first starting but the clocks/scoresheet display being exclusive is annoying and not being able to resize the board is criminal, even on my mid resolution 19inch screen the playing board is tucked into a corner. Hopefully the Sjeng team could release an update to tweak this?

Squinting regards

Paul
Chris Taylor

Post by Chris Taylor »

[quote="fern"]Beautiful new gui, powerful engine, a pleasure to play it, but there are some nuisances. Or you see the clock or you see the list of moves, no both things at the same time. Why?

My best
Fernando[/quote]

Fernando

Deep Sjeng 2.5 is an UCI, and will run in any GUI that supports this option. I have it running in ChessPartner and Arena. Not going to mention it is running in Chessbase too?!

This for me means that auto232 is going to happen, and eng-eng for CCRL.

Chris
fern

Post by fern »

I know that, but anyway if you offer a particular Gui, you could expect some minimal services as those I mentioned.
Particularly I am fed up of arena chess base kind of guis -they are great, but always the same?- and I would like very much to see others.
I expect from new programs to improve considerably in that aspect of the game as much strength is already a commodity.

My best
Fernando
Chris Taylor

Post by Chris Taylor »

[quote="Jim Walker"]Sorry but I'm not impressed. The GUI is very basic and worth nothing. The engine is a definite improvement over previous versions though. I can't get Deep Sjeng 2.5 to run 2 cpu in Fritz 8 GUI. I can set the cpu=2 in Engine parameters but clearly it's only running one cpu. It works fine in Shredder 9 GUI. Also I get a blank screen every time I set the cpu=2 in both GUI. It takes a couple of clicks to get the screen back. I'm running Win XP Pro with 64X2/3800+ machine.[/quote]

Jim

I am using both Fritz 10 and or H10.gui and have been able to play t=2. Have noticed if left to its own, it starts t=1. There maybe an update from chessbase?
It also works in Chesspartner, Arena.

Having said all that it is still below par, looks good at first blush, but is short of some of the goodies....

4 out of 10...

Chris
nuff

Post by nuff »

Is Lokasoft a new ChessBase of sorts? I can see the likes of Rebel under its wings and they host a page with tablebases. I have no experience with their products or Deep Sjeng but if a demo is available I can get the full version later on if its as good as Hiarcs/Rybka/Fritz.
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Hello Chris,
Are you sure it's running on 2cpu in Fritz GUI ? Well anyway I went to Playchess.com and querried update and it says I'm up to date? :roll: :roll:
I'm running Chessprogram 8 from Dec 2005.
:roll: :roll: