FIDE World Chess Championship thread

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kyodai

Re: FIDE World Chess Championship thread.

Post by Kyodai »

Kasparov about the 4th game and The Berlin Wall

"The Berlin is a sharp & rich middlegame, not an ending.

Berlin also has the benefit of rendering most machine analysis useless.

Human chess, deep strategic planning is the only way."
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Kyodai wrote:

Even a patzer like me can disagree nowadays. Engines evaluated 27... a6 and 36... Rd8 as probably winning for black, but Carlsen missed them. Anand's 28.hxg4 is losing instead of 28.Rc2, which seems to draw. Pit any top engine from those positions against white, and it will beat any human. So much about "machine analysis useless".
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

Laskos wrote:
Kyodai wrote:

Even a patzer like me can disagree nowadays. Engines evaluated 27... a6 and 36... Rd8 as probably winning for black, but Carlsen missed them. Anand's 28.hxg4 is losing instead of 28.Rc2, which seems to draw. Pit any top engine from those positions against white, and it will beat any human. So much about "machine analysis useless".

So you think Kasparov is wrong here - regarding needed strategic plans for Berlin wall - and machines contra humans?

We are not talking about single moves here..

Btw some GM:s have followed and extended the line 36.-Rd8 for black
which looks good since prevents Nd4 -- ok better for black but in the end
thay found no win for black (even with machine help..)
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Kyodai wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Kyodai wrote:

So you think Kasparov is wrong here - regarding needed strategic plans for Berlin wall - and machines contra humans?

Did they follow 27... a6 or even 28... a6, and some other too? Not single moves, but from move 24-25 onwards machines seemed superior. Heck, even 18.Ne2 was a blunder by Anand, from where many of his problems and the need of compensation had begun.
Lion

Post by Lion »

I do agree with you.

I cannot say that 27...a6 was winning but at least it was the best way to go to play for it.

During the game, Yasser and partner mentionned that move as probably the best and more importantly the simpler way to play for a win.

It is difficult for me to understand why Magnus didn't play the simpler move 27...a6.

Maybe he is too much of a Genius and lost himself.

That said, it was a great game and both players have played with lots of idea and resources a complicated game.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Kyodai wrote:Kasparov about the 4th game and The Berlin Wall

"The Berlin is a sharp & rich middlegame, not an ending.

It's an endgame at it's early stages so I don't agree here....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Kyodai wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Kyodai wrote:

Going through the game over and over again without a silicon monster for backup,just the humble human chess mind I made the conclusion that both players were playing within a general framework of a draw concept and trying to win from both sides of the board is a tough task....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

The way that Anand found that Ne4 in the 4th game to save that game is remarkable.Remember he also sacrificed ANOTHER pawn with this move for tactics.It is in my estimation that Carlsen is facing his worse nightmare HE IS PLAYING AGAINST THE ANAND OF 2008 WHICH CARLSEN FEARED THE MOST.Yes the way the World Champion is playing thus far is reminiscent of the Anand of 2008!!

FWCC
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I agree with you, his playing his best chess since he became world champion, but I doubt he'll be able to keep it up for 8 more games.
PK

Post by PK »

This is what I hoped for: Anand tends to wake up against opponents with a drive to win (Kramnik, Topalov, now Carlsen). I root for him, but if he fails, he will at least give Carlsen a hell of a fight, and will turn this match into a true rite of passage.