HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

NATIONAL12
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: bristol,uk

HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by NATIONAL12 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 am

i amimpressed with this engine in engine matches but it is just another fast clone.As soon as you go into IA mode esp at corr time controls it fails miserably.i am not a Rybka fanboy,Vas has given me nothing and never said a word to me.i await an engine that delivers.if anyone wishes to challange me on this.i am open at anytime on 48/Hour per move.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by Albert Silver » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:51 am

NATIONAL12 wrote:i amimpressed with this engine in engine matches but it is just another fast clone.As soon as you go into IA mode esp at corr time controls it fails miserably.i am not a Rybka fanboy,Vas has given me nothing and never said a word to me.i await an engine that delivers.if anyone wishes to challange me on this.i am open at anytime on 48/Hour per move.
What is IA mode?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

LaurenceChen
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:58 am

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by LaurenceChen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:53 am

Albert Silver wrote:
NATIONAL12 wrote:i amimpressed with this engine in engine matches but it is just another fast clone.As soon as you go into IA mode esp at corr time controls it fails miserably.i am not a Rybka fanboy,Vas has given me nothing and never said a word to me.i await an engine that delivers.if anyone wishes to challange me on this.i am open at anytime on 48/Hour per move.
What is IA mode?
IA = Infinite Analysis.

User avatar
gaard
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by gaard » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 am

Calling something that trumps its predecessor from which you believe it is a clone of, by ~100 Elo, "just another fast clone" is anything but polite. Better would be "Houdini is to be insulting another derivative."

Houdini 1.5 has been out, what, 72 hours? Yet, you have already determined that it "fails miserably" at correspondence time controls, for example, 48 hours/move? Better to wait till you reach a sample size of 1 first before you draw such far reaching conclusions.

Don't we have a separate forum for these _Engine Origins_ discussions?
Last edited by gaard on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

yanquis1972
Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by yanquis1972 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 am

'fails miserably'? how so? depth stalling? poor move choice? out of how many games, in what sort of positions & compared to what? was equal hardware and/or time used? it sounds look it be an issue with a)unqueal h/w (as i don't need to tell paul, houdini supports only 8 cores & he has more that at his disposal b)just a very tiny sample size, & an overlooker who is subsciously picking results that favor this theory.

is there any possible reason houdini would be more stubbon to switch at high depths? the example that i'd think suggests it doesnt have a bug in this sense was the recent kramnik-calrsen game where houdini gave a draw (static) eval for about 40+ pliles before finally switching g5 & showing a slight increase in eval over the next couple ply.

tano-urayoan
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by tano-urayoan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:41 am

NATIONAL12 wrote:i am.As soon as you go into IA mode esp at corr time controls it fails miserably...
And how you tested this?

CThinker
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 pm
Contact:

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by CThinker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 am

gaard wrote:Calling something that trumps its predecessor from which you believe it is a clone of, by ~100 Elo, "just another fast clone" is anything but polite. Better would be "Houdini is to be insulting another derivative."

Houdini 1.5 has been out, what, 72 hours? Yet, you have already determined that it "fails miserably" at correspondence time controls, for example, 48 hours/move? Better to wait till you reach a sample size of 1 first before you draw such far reaching conclusions.

Don't we have a separate forum for these _Engine Origins_ discussions?
I disassembled Houdini, posted the proof, and there are people who still refuse to believe that it is nothing but an Ippolit.

There are people who want their engine, even if it is a product of dishonesty.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 30666
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by Graham Banks » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:04 am

CThinker wrote:I disassembled Houdini, posted the proof, and there are people who still refuse to believe that it is nothing but an Ippolit.

There are people who want their engine, even if it is a product of dishonesty.
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34578
That was the thread Lance?
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

User avatar
gaard
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by gaard » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 am

CThinker wrote:
gaard wrote:Calling something that trumps its predecessor from which you believe it is a clone of, by ~100 Elo, "just another fast clone" is anything but polite. Better would be "Houdini is to be insulting another derivative."

Houdini 1.5 has been out, what, 72 hours? Yet, you have already determined that it "fails miserably" at correspondence time controls, for example, 48 hours/move? Better to wait till you reach a sample size of 1 first before you draw such far reaching conclusions.

Don't we have a separate forum for these _Engine Origins_ discussions?
I disassembled Houdini, posted the proof, and there are people who still refuse to believe that it is nothing but an Ippolit.

There are people who want their engine, even if it is a product of dishonesty.
Sounds like a good thread for... *drum roll* _Engine Origins_ *cymbal crash*

It is written somewhere that:
Discussion of the engines should be in whatever forum is
appropriate for the topic. If someone is looking at the code and
has a question/comment/observation about something, the programming
forum is the right place. If someone is looking at similarities or differences
with other programs (such as Rybka) then the EO forum is the right
place.

Damir
Posts: 1790
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: HOUDINI is to be polite another derivative.

Post by Damir » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am

Mr Rybka Fan Boy Watson,

I think you need to open up your eyes, as it is quite clear you are living in a dream world.. You need to come back to reality, and stop writting bullshit like this.

Post Reply