Zahak, a GoLang based chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Zahak, a GoLang based chess engine

Post by Gabor Szots »

Hi Amanj,

Recently I have received 3 e-mail notifications about new Zahak development versions, 2 of them today (version 8.5 and 8.6). When I clicked the link it lead me to a non-existent page.
I wonder if these were not fake notifications. Anyway, I wanted to receive notifications only about releases.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Post by amanjpro »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 am Hi Amanj,

Recently I have received 3 e-mail notifications about new Zahak development versions, 2 of them today (version 8.5 and 8.6). When I clicked the link it lead me to a non-existent page.
I wonder if these were not fake notifications. Anyway, I wanted to receive notifications only about releases.
Unfortunately I don't have a windows box. And to build a windows binary I have to create a release. So whenever I need to create a dev binary for someone (for example for FCP tournament), I create a release, and since it is a dev I also deleted it, thought I'm doing a favor for testers, guess I'm not.

I am sorry for this, and will not do it again. I guess I'll be installing windows on virtual box and start building windows binaries there.

Regards,
Amanj
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

amanjpro wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 am Hi Amanj,

Unfortunately I don't have a windows box. And to build a windows binary I have to create a release. So whenever I need to create a dev binary for someone (for example for FCP tournament), I create a release, and since it is a dev I also deleted it, thought I'm doing a favor for testers, guess I'm not.

I am sorry for this, and will not do it again. I guess I'll be installing windows on virtual box and start building windows binaries there.

Regards,
Amanj
No problem now that I know. I'm going to ignore notifications when there is dev attached to the name.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Amanj,

you develops in big steps.

For my tourney is a release not very important.
But if I add dev. versions the main program should be available.
Your version 8.0 is available and in this case I am happy if I can help a bit with testing a dev. version.

What I not like is to test private available engines.
Such engines have here no chance ... since I made for around 20 years some bad knowledge.

Your 8.6 can go in TOP-25 with around 3130-3150 Elo (if Shredder 13 = ~ 3125).

The community will be happy with your next release.
And I am happy that Jörg Burwitz sent me the Zahak tip for my tourney.

Zahak 8.6 will be start in around 2 hours.

Go Zahak go ...
Very nice engine you develops!

Best
Frank
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:47 pm Hi Amanj,

you develops in big steps.

For my tourney is a release not very important.
But if I add dev. versions the main program should be available.
Your version 8.0 is available and in this case I am happy if I can help a bit with testing a dev. version.

What I not like is to test private available engines.
Such engines have here no chance ... since I made for around 20 years some bad knowledge.

Your 8.6 can go in TOP-25 with around 3130-3150 Elo (if Shredder 13 = ~ 3125).

The community will be happy with your next release.
And I am happy that Jörg Burwitz sent me the Zahak tip for my tourney.

Zahak 8.6 will be start in around 2 hours.

Go Zahak go ...
Very nice engine you develops!

Best
Frank
Ah, it is just that I am not able to produce a Windows binary without creating a tag (and ucse GitHub CI for generating it).
If I generate the binary on my Linux machine, the produced windows EXE won't have Syzygy support

Thanks for your nice words :)
eduherminio
Full name: Eduardo Caceres

Post by eduherminio »

Hi Amanj,

In case you are not aware, you can add --draft to the hub command you use to publish GitHub releases.
You could either do that for all releases, or (try to) run different steps depending on the tag that triggered the release (that is, one with and one without --draft).

Regards,

Eduardo
Author of Lynx chess engine (GitHub, Lichess)
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

eduherminio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:00 pm Hi Amanj,

In case you are not aware, you can add --draft to the hub command you use to publish GitHub releases.
You could either do that for all releases, or (try to) run different steps depending on the tag that triggered the release (that is, one with and one without --draft).

Regards,

Eduardo
Very cool, will do use that then :)
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Amanj,

v8.6 seems to be have ~ the level or stronger as Shredder 13 / Fritz 18.
Fighting with Minic & Weiss and maybe Wasp & Schooner in my tourney for place 18-22.
In the near from Xiphos!!

I think important for the moment is that syzygy support works.
More compiles for different machines is important.

Technique is good, no problems during the first 218 games in my FCP Tourney-2022.

Good luck for Zahak.
Very, very strong ...

But have a look in the 8 fast lost games "mate below 50 moves" vs. the attacker Wasp, Slow, Revenge ... Koivisto is playing a great game. Here you can see that you program have problems with aggressive pawns with many pieces on board. Your program need more aggressiveness with pawn moves against King site (no fast won game, mate below 50 moves). I missed a bit the aggressivess in the earlier mid-games. That's very very important for understandings all the different openings.

But what I can see here in the late mid-game is really strong.
Good work you do!

Very speedy jumpings into the TOP-25, TOP-20 are possible (have not enough games).

Best
Frank

PS:
And for my personal wish list:
Analyze-Mode should work ... edit a position and start thinking.
Not working with Shredder GUI perfectly.

And christmas the computer chess community will be happy with Zahak with Syzygy support and a bit more speculative chess with many pieces on board :-) ... with other words the next interesting TOP-20 engine can be born. But what you do with so many energy is great, that's fact.
amanjpro

Post by amanjpro »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 am Hi Amanj,

v8.6 seems to be have ~ the level or stronger as Shredder 13 / Fritz 18.
Fighting with Minic & Weiss and maybe Wasp & Schooner in my tourney for place 18-22.
In the near from Xiphos!!

I think important for the moment is that syzygy support works.
More compiles for different machines is important.

Technique is good, no problems during the first 218 games in my FCP Tourney-2022.

Good luck for Zahak.
Very, very strong ...

But have a look in the 8 fast lost games "mate below 50 moves" vs. the attacker Wasp, Slow, Revenge ... Koivisto is playing a great game. Here you can see that you program have problems with aggressive pawns with many pieces on board. Your program need more aggressiveness with pawn moves against King site (no fast won game, mate below 50 moves). I missed a bit the aggressivess in the earlier mid-games. That's very very important for understandings all the different openings.

But what I can see here in the late mid-game is really strong.
Good work you do!

Very speedy jumpings into the TOP-25, TOP-20 are possible (have not enough games).

Best
Frank

PS:
And for my personal wish list:
Analyze-Mode should work ... edit a position and start thinking.
Not working with Shredder GUI perfectly.

And christmas the computer chess community will be happy with Zahak with Syzygy support and a bit more speculative chess with many pieces on board :-) ... with other words the next interesting TOP-20 engine can be born. But what you do with so many energy is great, that's fact.
Thanks a lot :)
I'll look into the aggressiveness issue. Zahak has a rather weak notion of King safety, this is something I yet need to fix.

I am not sure what is missing for Analyze-Mode, this binary that you have supports both MultiPV and searchmoves (which is really cool, because the engine keeps all the past info when searching in this mode). Can you explain to me what is missing in Analyze-Mode, so I can add it?

And for Shredder, I am again unsure what is missing. Can you please share the issues/difficulties that you have, so I can fix it too.

Regards,
Amanj
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Amanj,

I will looking in detail on my ultrabook with Shredder "ucidebug" ... after I made the first stats to the still running tourney. The work I do for Klaus Wlotzka and his excel files. 1 round need for me around three hours. On the first six I have to work today.

On weekend I am will looking with more time and will send information by mail.
Maybe I made a mistake here ... very fast testing by myself yesterday in the evening before I added your v8.6 in my tourney.

Best
Frank