Lc0 with two Networks?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Eduard
Full name: Eduard Nemeth

Lc0 with two Networks?

Post by Eduard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:03 pm

I read that Scorpio can use two networks. Lc0 with two nets (one for the endgame) would be strong. Especially small networks, would play better (with a little ender like scorpio).

jjoshua2

Re: Lc0 with two Networks?

Post by jjoshua2 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 pm

There was a fork of lc0 that is old by now, that allowed a separate net to run in the endgame to switch over at a set piece amount. Like at 16 pieces switch to ender net. I think it was found to gain some elo overall, but I guess it wasn't merged due to complexity, and nets have improved in endgame a lot since then. Dkappe has talked about reviving it.

the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Scorpio 3.0.5 has two networks.

Oh wait you said that. Ignore me.

crem

Post by crem » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 pm

It's possible to switch network file between moves in Lc0 with uci parameter.

However it's not currently possible to use several networks within one search (e.g. depending on depth or number of pieces).
But won't that suffer from Evaluation Discontinuity?

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:27 am

Getting a smooth switch is still a bit tricky. Still, the results are promising. Here a game between FF+LE and 42850 at 3 seconds per move on a 1070. Using Noomen 3. Switch is at 16 men.

corres

Post by corres » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am

crem wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 pm
It's possible to switch network file between moves in Lc0 with uci parameter.
However it's not currently possible to use several networks within one search (e.g. depending on depth or number of pieces).
But won't that suffer from Evaluation Discontinuity?
Yes, it suffer from it.
But if you use nets as a kind of book, this disturbance may be minimal. So I think during the opening phase and in the endgame phase you can use (appropriate) specialized net together with Leela standard net. The system for this may be the same as is in those AB engines what use more book: If the standard net do not contain "Value" for a position, Leela should search for it in the another net. Obviously the used nets should be tuned well to get real enhancement in Elo and at least the auxiliary net would be small to decrease the waste of time.