New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:
mar wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:Sure! Just e-mail IBM. Only available with original hardware. Please have your credit card at hand.
Unlikely as they dismantled it after the rematch, they probably knew why...
1/2 of DB stands in the Smithsonian today...
A friend of mine at Intel told me a few years ago that part of DB is printing luggage labels at an airport!?
bob

Post by bob »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:
mar wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:Sure! Just e-mail IBM. Only available with original hardware. Please have your credit card at hand.
Unlikely as they dismantled it after the rematch, they probably knew why...
1/2 of DB stands in the Smithsonian today...
A friend of mine at Intel told me a few years ago that part of DB is printing luggage labels at an airport!?
Impossible to say. It was a 30 node SP box. In theory, since 1/2 of it stands in the Smithsonian, that would leave 15 nodes that could have been sent anywhere, sans the DB processor boards of course.

I don't remember if the conversation happened here or via email, but Hsu had negotiated the rights to the DB chip, as at one time he had thought about a re-make, but using modern fab. He had predicted at least a factor of 100x faster, if not more. But that happened as he left IBM and I've not heard from him since...
Cumnor
Full name: Kevin D Plant

Re: New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue.

Post by Cumnor »

The details are still on IBM under the research https://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/w ... ml/c.shtml
Moderator of Rybka forum (Site no longer active)
Admin of Infinitychess playing server and Forum (Site suspended, maybe be back in the Future)
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

mar wrote:
Rebel wrote:Not fully dismantled, 2 years later Deep Blue Junior was alive and well in the hall of the Paderborn University (Germany) during the WCCC in 1999 where people could play it via an Internet connection.
Interesting, never heard of this.
Another thing is that IBM removed the original pages containing games and logs.
still there https://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/w ... ml/c.shtml

8-)
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
acase wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:I think these are some new pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

http://mashable.com/2016/02/10/kasparov ... UYEzkSGkqJ
Very cool - I wa actually there for the February 17th game in Philadelphia. Gary was a very gracious winner back then after he won. To be honest he should have won the second match , he simply psyched himself out thinking DB was invincible. DB would not even come close to Komodo on high end hardware. Zappa Mexico would give DB a good match.

Very well stated, and I agree, however I would have replaced Komodo with Stockfish, also I think the Deep Blue team should have granted Kasparov a rematch, but with the condition that there were no fees for Kasparov to collect other than living expenses (I.E. hotel and food , and perhaps a flight back to where he wanted).
After he accused them of cheating, no rematch was ever going to happen. Had he acted sensibly there is little doubt a rematch would have been granted. But once he pulled out the "cheating card" IBM was out of there...
Unless Kasparov won or at least drawn the match, IBM was prepared to run with the win. Losing was out of the question! They would have played him if they lost for certain and likely to if it was drawn regardless what Kasparov said. Money, Pride and Investors, talks!
Terry McCracken