computerchess on apple

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: computerchess on apple

Post by mclane »

sorry to say but i get same error message. i can also not load fruit. same error.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Just out of curiosity: can you run the WB engine that comes with the app? As I understand it the engine executable should all be in the same 'bin' folder as Polyglot. So I wonder if every executable there suffers from the same problem, that the system cannot find it.

To Joshua: I think you really have to compile a debug version, which prints more information. It is just too hard to guess blindly what might be going on. So put an extra printf near the end of usystem.c:StartChildProcess()

Code: Select all

/* If we get here, exec failed */
        printf("telluser directory = %s\n", get_current_dir_name());
        perror(argv[0]);
        exit(1);
Next to the error popup that gives a message containing the command, this would pop up a notice box that tells us in which directory the process was that tried to start the engine (but failed to do it).
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Now days fruit and fairymax reside in their own folders inside xboard so xboard can find the logo.png.

This makes no sense. It's all defined specifically. no room for error. I tested quite heavily myself before sending it. (not only to make sure that it works, but why it works as oppose to some other fluke) to be doubly sure I put in chmod -R +x in the gtk launching script for everything in that folder and subfolder. (I had put chmod -x on a few executable to make sure this worked) Although permissions is a different error then not finding things outright.

You sure you cleared the old user conf file again? Otherwise it will still be using the same polyglot command as before and not with the prefix ./

I'll see about the debug version
hgm

Post by hgm »

The error message indicates it cannot find Polyglot at all. If the access rights were the problem, it would have said "no permission".

It would still be interesting to know if Thorsten can run Fairy-Max, or that we have the same problem there.
mclane

Post by mclane »

in which directory is fairymax and fruit ? maybe when i throw komodo and stockfish manually into that it works ?
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Well if Fairymax wasn't loading, you would know right away, because that is the first engine it loads when you open xboard.

Anyway, here is a debug build (@hgm i took the liberty of adding the -debug to the launch script)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5e8dh3o6ms33 ... X.dmg?dl=0

All i need you to do is run the app, try to load a few engines, If you could test the installed fruit that would be nice too

Then check your Users/yourname/ directory for an xboard.debug file and post it here.

[edit]
Sorry, you have to open the package contents by right clicking on the app, navigate to /Contents/MacOS/ and double click on Xboard (not xboard-bin) For some reason this makes a difference in whether the xboard.debug is generated.
mclane

Post by mclane »

i did what you said but cannot find debug file. where is it ? how is the name ? xboard.debug ??
hgm

Post by hgm »

Indeed. It should be xboard.debug .
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

It's in your home folder.
/Users/Your name/xboard.debug.

Just for the record, others said polyglot works for them, so something must be weird on your end. We just have to figure out what :)

_____

I was trying to make it easier for you, but you can open up the package contents find that XBoard executable in /Contents/MacOS folder and drag it to a terminal window and add the -debug flag yourself. Then hit enter.
(it wont matter if it's there twice)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Hey Thorsten, I hope you are still around.

I think I finally realized what the problem was.

I was testing localization in the app and I found out what the “image not found” was about. It wasn’t polyglot that wasn’t found, it was one of the gcc dylibs… A few weeks ago, building with apple's builtin clang was fixed with xboard, so I started using that. As a result, dylibbundler no-longer packaged the gcc dylibs in the app bundle. (hey, saves a mb I thought) I completely forgot I had compiled polyglot, and most engines with gcc, or at least that they would need such dylibs to run. (Actually the whole thing baffled me a while ago. I had no idea gcc compiled binaries needed gcc dylibs. It sounds like cygwin for windows.) The only reason I noticed is because I had temporarily disabled my macports folder to represent a clean system for the localization - to make sure it was using the bundles resources - and happened to start fruit while in Spanish mode. :-\ So, I made sure everything was compiled with Clang this time.

I hope this works for you!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p504wvjqx562u ... a.dmg?dl=0