Windows 8 Released Today

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lavir

Re: Windows 8 Released Today

Post by Lavir »

stevenaaus wrote:
Windows 8 seems to be inspired by the mass transit kiosk or industrial controls school of design, more suited for use by perpetually hungover Homer Simpsons than inspiring and enabling flights of productive creativity by information workers, academics, scientists and artists in mathematics, wordsmithing, graphics and performance media. It's a leap backwards in usability.
Just saying but I AM a graphic designer, and I prefer much W8 to W7.

I cannot understand how one can seriously prefer W7 to W8. Metro is NOT an answer since you can easilty go without it if you want, but in the meantime you have: less multitasking ability, about 30% more boot time and memory management, LESS productivity (task manager and file explorer are GREAT enhancements on this point vs. W7), more trouble with security etc. etc.

So, apart just because you HAVE to hate the move of W8 with Metro, for the rest there's no justification at all on what that quote says.
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

Ponti wrote:Hmmm...

If you don´t own a touch screen monitor, can you tell me the new features W8 has that makes the upgrade worth the money?
Hmmm, what can it be? Difficult, oh well.... not so much; what about much better multitasking ability, much better RAM management, much better boot and suspending/sleep/hybernate capabilities, much improved file explorer and task manager, improved security policies, improvements for devices management and shared IRQs, in case of a crash of explorer (the desktop) there's not need to restart the PC, in case of a crash only the application is concerned (this goes along the better RAM and device management) and so on and so forth?

Ponti wrote: Let me guess... apart from being heavier and taking more space to install, you get that crap of desktop "for dummies" and " better hardware compatibility" ?!
Let me guess... all you said is COMPLETELY wrong?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Lavir wrote:I cannot understand how one can seriously prefer W7 to W8. Metro is NOT an answer since you can easilty go without it if you want
For Microsoft (PR), W8 == Metro.
WuShock

Post by WuShock »

One thing interesting in W8 is you can have the desktop on one moniter , and the metro ui on the other moniter......

Just haven't figured out what it's useful for , since I don't spend any time on the metro side.......

Tom
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

WuShock wrote:One thing interesting in W8 is you can have the desktop on one moniter , and the metro ui on the other moniter......

Just haven't figured out what it's useful for , since I don't spend any time on the metro side.......
Tom
Hello Tom
I don't have any use for the metro.
I just use a plain desktop with a few shortcuts.
I like it so far.
kgburcham